Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping Doesn't work properly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
m-de-lange
849 Views, 4 Replies

Snapping Doesn't work properly

Hi,

I've got a strange issue. I'm trying to snap a lighting fixture but the snaps don't seem to function as they're supposed to.

There are multiple instances of the same lighting fixtures placed in a ceiling plan. On a couple of those copied lighting fixtures i can snap on the left side centre and on the right side centre.

Unfortunately most of those same lighting fixtures, can't be snapped on the Left side.

This makes it rather difficult to place them exactly. Why can't i always snap on each side of the lighting fixture in specific views?

UPDATE: I think it may have to do with the build in reference plane connected to a angle parameter. This was built in so we can rotate the lighting fixtures for sloped ceilings and sorts.

Apparently the Reference plane on the side causes the unability to snap on that side.

Is there a way around this??

Screenshots and family provided for more clarity.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hmunsell
in reply to: m-de-lange

what you are actually snapping to in your images is the reference plane(s) in the family.  By the looks of it, probably the Center (Left/Right)...

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
m-de-lange
in reply to: hmunsell

Correct, i just figured that out too.

If you open up the family, there's only 1 reference plane on the right side.

The side that also cannot be snapped at in the projects.

Strangely enough, i have done this so many times in so many families and it never gave this issue.

Then out of the blue Revit refuses to let me snap on the side with the reference plane.

Is there a way to fix this?

Message 4 of 5
hmunsell
in reply to: m-de-lange

not sure why it would have suddenly started happening. its been a while since i had to mess with them in my families, but if i remember correctly the reference plans "Is Reference" setting needs to be set to somthing, it cant be set to "Not Reference".

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
m-de-lange
in reply to: hmunsell

Correct, only that wasn't really the issue here.

I've solved it. Apparently the added angle parameter with reference line blocked the symbol from being snapped.

I shortened the underlying reference line to be shorter than the 3D extrusion, loaded it in and then i could snap on both sides again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report