Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Nested pipe fittings

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
andy.van.slambrouck
1555 Views, 20 Replies

Scheduling Nested pipe fittings

Hi all,

For my outside plumbing I use a pipe and fittings package from wavin. With this package I also have a schedule included for the pipes and fittings.

But in the pipe fittings schedule I added an extra field for showing the 'system abbrevation' and I wanna sort on this field too.

So I can see exactly how many parts there are for each system abrevation, now I only can see the total amount for each elements.

As you can see in the image of the schedule, there are two types of parts that doesn't show their system abrevation however it does have.

From what I noticed these are nested family's. Is there some way that I could still let show the system abrevation like the regular family's does?

Regards andy

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hello,

Nested components in pipe fittings are not assigned to any systems, this is also the reason they may get black, if you use pipe systems to define component colors.

This is a long time issue, at least since Revit 2013, when I started to use it.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 21

Ok, thx for your reply. The nested family's are indeed black in my pipe system. So, there is no other way around to filter on the system abbrevations?
Message 4 of 21

Hello,

I created a shared parameter which value is transferred from the host family to the nested family.

But I believe the best solution is using worksets, in this case you don´t need any parameter.

Fábio Sato
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 21

Ok, thx for the advice. I'm not so well known with worksets but will have a look for it.

Message 6 of 21

Hi,

I tried to figure it out with the shared parameter but don't know how exactly to start. Is it possible to tell this work way in steps?

Message 7 of 21

Hello,

You must have the same parameter on the nested and in the host family, in the nested family, make it instance type.

In the host family, select the nested family, in the properties, link the nested family shared parameter to the host shared parameter, this way you transfer the value from the host to the nested family.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 8 of 21

Hello,

I'm afraid I still have problems with this. From the host family I opened the nested family's and placed a new shared parameter. Once back in the host model I click on one of the nested family's and go to 'edit type'. But in this menu I'm not able to link the shared parameter, I do not see on the right side the little grey button.

I attached the family, maybe you could have a look on it if possible? And I was also wondering if it will work how will this new parameter automatically get the information from the system abbrevation?

Message 9 of 21

Hello,

Check the modified family, I created a family parameter, you must change it to a Shared parameter to use in schedules.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 10 of 21

Hello,

I'm sorry to ask but still I have problems with it.

As you suggested in the family, I changed the SYSTEM parameter in the host family to my shared SYSTEM parameter.

And then in every nested family I did the same, make a text parameter with my shared parameter.

After this I go back to my host family and from there I open the type properties of every nested family to link the parameters with the little greyed out box(associate family parameters).

But what I notice is that the greyed out little boxes only appear when the 'share' option is unmarked in the nested family.

And also the new shared parameter only appear when it's created as a type parameter in the nested family.

If I do this in this way as type parameter I notice all the pipe fittings have the same value when I look in the properties. But scheduling is still not possible too.

It's kinda frustrating me 🙂

Message 11 of 21

Hello,

The SYSTEM parameter MUST be instance one on the nested family, so then can acquire the value from the host family.

To assign the SYSTEM parameter value, you have to select the placed nested family and in the PROPERTIES window, not type properties link the host SYSTEM parameter. Also to appear in schedules the nested family Shared parameter must be checked.

Property link.png

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 12 of 21

Hi,

Thx for the advice again. Now I could manage to link the parameters.

But only one nested family I could link the parameter, with the others when I select it all the properties are greyed out. In your screenshot your nested family is the one that is possible to link.

Don't know what reason this could be?

But if I look in the project I can give now a instance value in the fittings properties

I placed the new parameter in the schedule and sort also on the SYSTEM

As you can see in the screenshot there are 5 fittings that I gave a name in the SYSTEM parameter but the article description is away  More beneath you can see the Wadal PVC Branch, it's that description that should be available too. Now there is one row with the description and another row with the system information, if I could match these in one row then I have what I all need 🙂

Message 13 of 21

Hello,

I saw that you have different nested families within the same family, do you plan to exchange them?

If yes, you must create a family type parameter selecting the pipe fitting category, when you exchange the nested family, the parameter link remains.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 14 of 21

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understand it right. I tried in one of the nested families to create a new family type parameter as text. As result of this new parameter I can switch trough the type names of the nested parts in the nested family in the new field.

But in the schedule it doesn't change, I also cannot find my new parameter when I wanna add a new field in the schedule?

I added my project file, maybe it's better if you can look at it in if possible offcourse?

Regards

Message 15 of 21

Hello Andy,

Tonight I won´t be able to check your file, but I created the family type parameter in your family.

Check if you understood. When you create a new type you can change the nested family.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 16 of 21

Hi Fabiasato,

Take your time to look at the project. I attached the project again and set the new type parameter in the family as you did in your example and I can see you can switch in the new field between the nested families.

But I'm afraid I still not understand how this new parameter can help with the other problem, linking the system parameter from the other nested families to the host model?

regards andy

Message 17 of 21

Hello andy.van.slambrouck,

I checked your family, NLRS_52_PIF_UN_Wadal T-stuk_PVC_Wavin, then I opened branch with reducer family, in here the SYSTEM parameter was type, I changed to instance. You have many levels of nesting components, so I needed to make the same procedure at each level.

Then in NLRS_52_PIF_UN_Wadal T-stuk_PVC_Wavin family, I selected branch with reducer family, and in the properties I linked the host SYSTEM parameter with the nested family SYSTEM, so the value from the host will be transferred to the nested family. But I needed to repeat the process in all nesting levels.

Then I reload the family in the project.

Now you got some data.

I hope you can understand what I did.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 18 of 21

Hello Fabiosato,

Thx for your effort for changing the family's. I think I do understand what you did.

But in the schedule I don't see a difference. I get the system abrevation info for the 'Wadal PVC L-T-stuk 45° and 88° in blanket rows and more below I have for the same family all the rest of the information except the system abrevation.

But only if I manually input DWA, RWA, .. in the SYSTEM field of the properties of every family I can schedule it. Is it not the intention to get the information automaticaly?

Regards

Message 19 of 21

Hello Andy,

Unfortunately the parameter won´t be filled automatically, you can create a Dynamo routine to do it, otherwise it will be manual.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 20 of 21

Hi Fabiosato,

Ok, all clear now. Thx a lot for all the time you helped me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report