Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project templates

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1153 Views, 6 Replies

Project templates

Hi 

I work for a company that offers turnkey solutions for dry room applications and therefore get involved in designing the dry room (walls, floors, ceilings etc). Structures such as mezzanines or support for the dry room. And systems such as ducting and piping routing.  

My question is; I'm creating my own project templates and want to know if i can use one project template for everything we design or whether I should be using different templates for different applications? I'm assuming it's possible to have everything loaded into one project template but will likely slow it down? 

Apologies if this seems like an obvious question, my background is with Solidworks so Revit is a very different way of working for me.

Thanks in advance, 

Josh 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
KotairaKeila
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Josh.

It's better to have different templates for different specific purposes. For example, one template for Architecture, another for a different discipline (like MEP or Structural); or one to build Residential projects and another to do a different category of building development (like Schools or Hospitals).

After saving as template (*.rte file), you should also see this official template checklist link:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: KotairaKeila

Thanks for the reply and checklist. I notice in the default project templates there is a "systems" template which seems to be a generic MEP template. But also there are separate mechanical, electrical and plumbing templates, whats the purpose for this? 

Thanks, 

Josh 

Message 4 of 7
KotairaKeila

Yep, System is a "generic MEP" template, and it is also very similar to Mechanical template in the Project Browser organization. There are these default templates for those disciplines, as you said for mechanical, electrical and plumbing purposes, which always comes with specific presets and respective system families, to make it easier to you start a new project, even if your project office does not yet have your own customized template. This happens in the same way that  AutoCAD and other softwares also grants you specific templates with basic setups for you, to start your new project.

01.PNG

The "Default" template is usually used for "Architectural" template purposes.

The "Construction" is similar to Architectural but with more levels and some 'not so different' presets also present in the architectural ('default') template.

"Structural" comes with presets for structure and its analytical needs.

And the same happens to "Mechanical", "Plumbing" and "Electrical" ones for theirs specific presets, Mechanical and Electrical Settings and specific and respective families.

"System" is a little bigger template, with about 16 MB, but have all MEP Settings and their basic families already loaded and pre configured.

I hope I have helped in some way

Message 5 of 7
s.borello

I prefer separate templates... then again I don't have a big beefy machine, so I try to stay as streamline as I can.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: KotairaKeila

Thanks for the responses on this, very helpful! I do have a fairly "beefy" machine but i think it's always good practice to try and make a model as streamlined as possible, you never know who might need to work on it. 

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw

We do our projects in one model therefor we only need one template. Having multiple templates means more time maintaining them. Even before I realized how much sense it makes to have only model, I only kept one template and deleted what I didn't need when setting up the trade models.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report