Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need easiest way for filter and panel schedule to show electrical branch

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1131 Views, 6 Replies

Need easiest way for filter and panel schedule to show electrical branch

I have looked into electrical panels and Revit families and I am trying to do something very specific. We would like to have a parameter on our panels for the electrical branch i.e. (life safety, critical, equipment, normal).  Many of our jobs have unique naming conventions and rather so simply using the (panel) parameter for electrical devices and wires, which filters by the serving panels name, we would rather use this parameter. So regardless of the names we wont need to make new or sometimes multiple filter per branch. We would also like to set up the panel schedules to automatically fill in this information.

Attempts and Issues: I tried to simply make a shared parameter and fill it in for the panel schedule, but when I select the electrical equipment category while modifying the panel schedule, the shared parameter is not an available option. My question is how do i make a shared parameter available to put on the panel schedule. There is obviously a list for which ones show up, I just don;t know how to edit it. 

for filtering, its easy enough for the panels them selves because you just put a filter with the shared parameter as the variable for electrical equipment. The issue is other electrical equipment, electrical fixtures and wires. the issue is I don't want to have to enter the branch of each individual device, instead I would like the devices to be able to be filtered by the shared parameter on the panel serving it. I currently filter by the panel name, which the device is knows. So if the device/wire can read the panel name and I can filter by it. Why can't I attach a shared parameter to the panel and that data be feed through to the device/wire and I filter its color by that information? I've read somewhere that someone had a "branch" parameter under "general", which would work for the panel schedule, but if it can't be passed to the device/wire, it's useless for filtering. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You have to make it a project parameter, not a shared parameter.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you, will this be transferable through electrical circuiting? My aim is to set the branch parameter on the panel and be able to filter the color of any devices that receive power from it, in the same way that I was using the panel name to filter their color before.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

No, it won't cascade down to the device level - it's a property of the panel, not the circuit or device.  The easiest way to handle it at the device level would be to have your panel naming convention indicate the branch and then filter your devices with that once they're circuited.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

In the project parameter categories there is an option to select electrical circuits, would that allow the electrical circuit to transmit the parameter or does it simply give the circuit a parameter field of its own that unrelated to the panel? And in the same way that the panel name is a property of the panel as well but I'm able to select "panel" which is the panel name as a filter option for electrical fixtures and wires. I wanna find how they're connected and copy the code or path or parameter and just substitute my "Branch" parameter for the "Panel name" parameter.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

All of that stuff is hard-coded into Revit and depends on the electrical connector in the family.  You'd have to go digging around in the actual code for the software, an exercise that is far beyond by abilities.  You could submit it as an idea though.  It's possible they might even notice in three or four years.  Until then the only information you can push across from a circuit to equipment/devices is panel and circuit number.

Message 7 of 7
cvoight

For branch circuits, you can create a shared parameter, and use that as the basis for a project parameter that applies to Electrical Circuits. (Truthfully, creating a shared parameter isn't required, but I prefer to use a shared parameters as the basis for a project parameter such as this.)

You can then add a column in your panel schedule that pulls the parameter and lists it in the panel schedule. Because this parameter is tied to a circuit, it is deleted if you delete a circuit, but is kept if you change the circuit to be connected to a different panelboard.

The problem you are going to run into with filtering is that Electrical Circuits exist separately from the devices on them. While the Revit API allows you to access the elements on a circuit, you cannot do so in Revit proper with filters. You could create an Electrical Circuit schedule (panel, circuit number, <your parameter>) and use an embedded electrical fixture schedule in order to quickly be able to copy the parameter from a circuit to the devices on a circuit. (You can have schedules for each branch circuit type that are filtered down to the branch circuit type.) Or you can use Dynamo to copy the data from an Electrical Circuit parameter to a Electrical Fixture parameter. (This is easier when you're using a shared parameter, and when you're using the shared parameter to drive a project parameter that applies to multiple categories.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators