Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Annotation smarter

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
J__A
748 Views, 8 Replies

MEP Annotation smarter

Hello!
Looking for some help and ideas from other.

I'm trying to create an tag for pipes and ducts that has an elevation moving beyond current floor.
I want to show if the "pipe" rises to the next level with an symbol, like picture below.

J__A_0-1635713012161.png

I'm currently doing it with text labels using if statements, so if top elevation > 2700mm passes up to level 2 etc, but if it stops within the floor or has "if(or(" more statements or logic in the code i cant get it to work.

Is it possible to have a visibility parameter to determine a formula of height on element?
I don't wanna use multiple type parameters within the tag, it needs to be smart and know where the pipe is moving.

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
fabiosato
in reply to: J__A

Hello,

Unfortunatelly tags can´t use such features.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
robert2JCCH

Hello,

You can use Dynamo to compare the floor planes against your pipe to determine if the pipe 'rises' or 'drops', while also tagging the pipe of interest. I dont believe there is a way to do this parametrically in base revit.

Message 4 of 9
J__A
in reply to: robert2JCCH

Hi, 
Sounds interesting do you have any example or could you point me in the right direction?

I have been reading up on dynamo think its smarter to do that if it works, other thing i stumble up on is that pipe doesn't have the same host as an wall do if i want to schedule them by level or reference..

I thought/think its possible to map them into it. I bet someone knows an workaround 😄
Adding a short video to show you what i had.

Message 5 of 9
robert2JCCH

The Dynamobim forums (read their Primer first!) are a good resource for script support. It usually works best if you search for specific tasks within your goal unless it's a very common request.

The way I set up this workflow when I had done it:

• Collect all pipes in the project, then filter for pipes with slope greater than 45 degrees (Revit stores vertical pipe as 'Undefined' slope, so you will have to check for that as well)
  • For the active view, determine the floor boundary plane and the top boundary plane.
  • Pipe location is stored as a line, so you can compare the line geometry of the pipe to the plane geometry of top/bottom.
  • Bin the results into top, bottom, and both.
  • Create annotation tags for each bin. I have pipe tag families look like [Size][System]"Up", [Size][System]"Up/Dn", etc.., this would be based more on your company standard, but you match them up.
  • Clean the tag placement. I have mine set to offset a few feet to the side with an elbow; otherwise the tag drops directly on top of the pipe like it would for a Tag All command. You'll still need to manually move any errant tags that obscure drawing elements.

You may need to make adjustments or even completely change parts of this approach depending on how your assumptions and needs differ from mine, but I hope this provides a starting point. 

Message 6 of 9
J__A

replying to myself, clicked wrong button^^😂
Tack så mycket Robert!
Mycket bra och detaljerad layout och förklaring.

Jag har läst upp på primer och jag är fortfarande rulla runt på forum, dess lite för mycket att vara ärlig, men några riktigt bra innehåll borta thx!🙂
Skulle det vara möjligt att få en länk eller graf över ditt arbetsflöde som du beskriver ovan?
Jag lyckades inte hitta en specifik uppgift relaterad till detta ämne.

Message 7 of 9
robert2JCCH

I attached a simplified version of the one I use. This is built around Revit 2020 and requires a handful of packages for nodes that do not come with standard Dynamo. This version only checks pipes going 'down', I'm going to leave it as a learning exercise to you to figure out how to do 'up'.

Best of luck.

Message 8 of 9
J__A
in reply to: robert2JCCH

Thank you a lot for sharing material and information @robert2JCCH !
Its been amazing to read up so far, mind blowing hehe.

There is one thing, i took the packages and custom nodes, i have been reading the primer and a lot of material so far.
I been trying the graph that you posted and modified it a few times...
The work plane with the 3d node named Level.Elevation
The input is an string, and i cant figure out why its not working i tried to manually output and change it without success 

Warning: Level.Elevation expects argument type(s) (Revit.Elements.Level), but was called with (string).

I understand how it is suppose to work but i cant get my head around why its not  working.

J__A_0-1636922373693.png

Message 9 of 9
robert2JCCH

That is because I messed up 😃

The elevation node requires a 'Level' input, but the screenshot you have from the script only pulls the string describing the level's name.

robert2JCCH_0-1637012955849.png

This would be the correction. What's going on here is that we're comparing the name of the Associated Level to the list of all of the Levels in the project and filtering for the matching one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report