Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legends

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
439 Views, 4 Replies

Legends

I have not found a way to use the LEGEND feature to create an acceptable legend for construction drawings.  For example, I have not discovered a way to show a duct in other than section view.

I have tried several work around solutions, but none are perfect.  My current method is to create a view (see attached) with all the elements that I want in my legend somewhere on the model and place it on a sheet.

This works, but I have not found a way to create this view in a way that will let me copy it from project to project and allow editing for specific project requirements without creating anew for each project.

I am interested in how others are solving this issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

All of our attempts at making the Legends work ended in failure and disappointment. We have two methods to create our legends, and we're looking more at #2 lately.

#1: Detail View. Simple and dumb, but you can copy it from another project using: Insert tab » Insert from File ▼ Insert Views from File.

#2: As you have done, create the model elements off to the side. These elements can be incorporated into your Project Template File (drawn directly in it), so you can have the legend on every project. We typically put those elements on their own Workset (default off) and we have added an "IGNORED" yes/no Project Parameter to those elements so that Schedules ignored them (via filters).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for reply.  It is comforting to know that I am not alone in struggling with this issue.  Maybe some other contributor will share an insight.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

This may be a stupid question but from the image you have displayed, why can't you just create a legend view and add detail linework, filled regions, etc. at 1:1 to place on multiple sheets (providing you are delivering sheets)? Surely by using 3D elements to create the legend, you are making life more difficult than necessary by having to create duct fitting families with break symbols on, etc.

It will probably be a tedious task initially but the elements can be copied from project to project or better yet created in your company template.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Not at all a stupid question.  I started out this way, but soon realized the difficulty with detailing a legend that acurately shows the model element as it will appear on a view.  As an example: fire dampers in the ductwork.  Also, I realized that families from different manufacturers will appear differently, and unless I use the same product families on every project, I will need to go back and change the detail view to correspond with how the model element appears on the sheet views.

Maybe I am overcomplecating the matter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report