Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing an Architectural Plan

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
447 Views, 5 Replies

Importing an Architectural Plan

Hi There,

Now that I can now draw in REVIT, I need to import an architectural model into my project.

I thought this must be easy but 2 hours later and I still haven't cracked it!

I have got as far as opening the architectural file "Detach from Central option" clicked.

I now want to transfer that architecural model into my project which I started from a template I have created for the work that I do.

Any help please would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

The most used method is to link the architectural model into you new revit project (like xref in Acad).

LinkRevit.png

Of course it is also possible to work directly int the architectural file if allowed.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks but I would prefer not to link the file as I have a tendency miove files around a bit.

Is there anyway that I can just simply copy the architectural plan into my project?

Thanks

Paul 

Message 4 of 6
L.Maas

Directly copying between does not work as far a I know.

But you could import your CAD file.

Import.png

During the import you have several options, One of the options is to import only certain layers.

Further I always try to minimize the import of foreign file formats. Importing (many) autocad documents will hit on the performance of Revit.

My standard workflow is to link cad (e.g. for tracing). If needed I will try to redo the drawing (e.g detail) in Revit. After finishing with the Autocad file I will remove it from Revit again.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

stevenson53 wrote:

"Thanks but I would prefer not to link the file as I have a tendency miove files around a bit.

Is there anyway that I can just simply copy the architectural plan into my project?"

You are still probably better off linking in the Architecture, unless it will never change. I can't even imagine how messy it would be to update the architecture if it is integral with your MEP file (unless it is being simultaneously designed in the same model). If you move the architectural file, you can open Manage Links and use the "Reload From..." button to define the new path.

Keep in mind that this tendency can cause some problems in Work-Sharing enabled Revit Project. When a Central File is created, the file location/path is recorded within it (in order to recognize a Local File vs. a Central File). If you were to just move (or even rename) the Central File, it will no longer recognize itself as such, and you'll have to re-save it as such. This could potentially cause conflicts if others are working on the same Project.

If you still insist on importing the architecture into your model, you can just copy the architectural model and use that as the basis for your Project. Of course, you will not have the benefit of starting with an MEP Template (no Pipe settings, etc.). To import [most] of these settings, you can open a new Project with the desired Template and then use the Transfer Project Standards tool. My opinion is that this is not a wise choice.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ok Guys,

I am convinced, I linked the Architects as suggested.

Thanks for the guidance!

Cheers

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report