Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a schedule that updates via the checkboxes in properties?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mark_mcmanusCBMVX
206 Views, 5 Replies

How do I create a schedule that updates via the checkboxes in properties?

I am new to Revit entirely, I am working on Revit 2020 and looking to create a schedule that has a variety of iterations. I want others to be able to toggle the check boxes on the properties sidebar to dictate what rows are present in the schedule or not. I also want it to be able to have the bottom row automatically attach to the bottom row without them having to click and drag.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

A few things:

• Schedules are generally category-specific (Casework, Mechanical Equipment, Fire Alarm Devices, etc.). 
  • Schedules are generally presented as Rows that fill out with Elements, and Columns that fill out with Parameters. In this orientation, this means that Rows (Elements) display if they fulfill the criteria of the schedule (Correct Category, Correct Filter conditions). The only way in which a Row of data can be hidden/toggled off would be if the filter criteria no longer applies.
  • While you can add parameters for Schedules that will appear in the properties sidebar, you cannot use them as a method of control for the Fields/Filter/SortingGrouping/Formatting/Appearance values.
  • A singular schedule is continuous. There's some level of customization in spacing between rows, but generally if you include more of the category element in the project, the additional elements continue to be added to the schedule without the need to manually move/align those entries. The only thing that may require 'attachment' to the bottom row would be if you have a footnotes section. There's a user-discovered method to automatically include attached footnotes to a schedule but it's quite tedious and I would not recommend it over moving the footnotes manually.

I'd recommend going through some basic schedule tutorials for Revit to get a sense on how they are constructed. Otherwise, it might be simpler to discuss what your intended end product for this workflow is so that a more direct answer can be provided. Toggle-able rows sounds like generic specifications to me versus vendor equipment specifications, but I don't want to make that assumption.

Message 3 of 6

Schedules show what is in the model (in a specific phase) and you can filter out based on a parameter.  A schedule basically is a view representing parameter values of elements in the model. You cannot show things that don't exist. 

You could add a yes/no parameter to the family. Use that parameter to filter what the schedule shows. the user can then select the family, and check/uncheck. but if it is not in the schedule, it won't be counted etc. 

But maybe explain what the original purpose of your request is. There may be a totally different simpler way. You want the user to show or not show certain things in the schedule even if they are in the model? Why? 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for the responses. I included an example i found. For example i want to be able to toggle T1 and T4 out and have the others move up and properly fill in the gaps, or vice versa. 

mark_mcmanusCBMVX_0-1716406596780.png

Message 5 of 6

Looks like a schedule output from AutoCAD based on the fact that the Transformer name has a symbol. That's not really a thing that can be reproduced in Revit without excessive work.

If the project contains transformers labelled T1 thru T8 (T7 is skipped I guess?), then your transformer schedule will show 7 transformers. 

If you add a filter to your schedule to exclude any transformers named T4, your transformer schedule will now show 6 transformers, and no movement is required on your part to close the gap between T3 and T5.

Continuing on, you can do the same for T1 or for any other transformers you want hidden (I'm not going to ask why you need this to occur).

If you're finding yourself in a workflow where you need to hide many transformers that exist on the project (maybe they're shown for reference only but your scope of work pertains to specific transformers? I don't know), what you can do is this:

• Make a Yes/No parameter assigned to the category for Transformers
  • Add the Yes/No parameter to the schedule fields.
  • Add a filter to the Filters tab that checks if the parameter says 'Yes'
  • Hide the column that corresponds to that parameter in the Formatting tab (because you don't want it visible in your final product)
  • Go to each transformer and adjust the Yes/No parameter appropriately

If the reason you're hiding specific transformers is because they get removed in a specific phase of a project (existing transformers that get demolished maybe?), you can set the schedule to Show Complete in the latest Construction Phase, and then go to those transformers and set up the Phase Created / Phase Demolished parameters appropriately. This will hide those transformers on the schedule, since the schedule will only show transformers that exist at the end of the project.

Message 6 of 6

Yes, if you filter out those 2 transformers the remaining ones will sort my their type mark again (or whatever parameter you use to sort)

Do you have more information why you want to exclude those 2? 

If they are in a different phase, you can limit the phase a schedule displays. 

If there is some other reason, you can create a yes/no instance parameter for those families. include that parameter in the schedule (you can hide it) and then filter by that parameter so it only shows the ones with that se to "yes". Maybe some parameter you already have in the schedule will also work. Really depends on why yo want to do that. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators