Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fire extinguisher - Do I Need Fire Protection category?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
geraldcdc
1839 Views, 4 Replies

fire extinguisher - Do I Need Fire Protection category?

It seems like if fire extinguisher is in Mechanical Equipment category, when I setup Fire protection drawings, I need turn off all other mechanical equipment like fans, thermostat and vav boxes.

Right now I made fire extinguisher with sprinklers category. When I try to label them FHC, all sprinklers labels will mess up unless I create types for the label family.

Maybe I should give all mechanical equipment different sub-categories. So I can turn them on-off easier.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
geraldcdc
in reply to: geraldcdc

Fire Extinguisher and Fire Hose Cabinets

Message 3 of 5
bsammis

You talking about a system that's integrated into the building like Ansul or Vesda, or just a cabinet with a hand held extinguisher hung on the wall.

The former should be under Plumbing or Mechanical, the latter Specialty Equipment.

As a general rule, try to categorize families according to whichever division is specifying them.

Message 4 of 5
geraldcdc
in reply to: bsammis

Not like Ansul or Vesda. FHC just a cabinet inside wall (wall hosted) and Fire extinguisher is a small cylinder with a handle held hung on the wall.

We often have fire protection drawings show Sprinkler +extinguisher + fire hose cabinet, but not include plumbing nor hvac.

Message 5 of 5
scott_dakin2

I agree with bsammis' approach.

Family sub-categorisation can be very useful. I have read on this forum that filtering by Onmiclass is quite effective.

I have an architect that has used Electrical Equipment category for keyboards, monitors, wall mounted clocks - every time I want to anything with a panel or schedule its completely screwed up and I have copy/monitored his stuff so I can schedule it for thermal modelling.

He thinks I just need to hide the category in the visual controls and WILL. NOT. LISTEN.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report