Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Backups Not Being Created

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
scbunker
438 Views, 5 Replies

Family Backups Not Being Created

I've been creating families, and for some reason, backups are not being created when I save.

I thought the problem might have been because I moved the file location via Windows Explorer. So I went to File->Save As, checked the options for saving (3 backups) and saved over the file. Still not creating backups.

So I thought perhaps you can't save over the same file. So I Saved As and created a new 'test' file. I then made a few changes and saved. No backups. I tried closing the file entirely, reopening, making changes, saving. No backups.

Any ideas? 

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ennujozlagam
in reply to: scbunker

@scbunker hello, that is strange, try to repair your repair or install latest updates from autodesk or worse scenario clean uinstall and reinstall again, it could be some files are corrupted. hope it helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 6
scbunker
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Thanks for the suggestion, @ennujozlagam, but I've figured out the problem. It actually turned out to not be a problem, but a feature of BIM2B Autosave, which I just installed on Friday.

I apparently defaults to saving backups in C:\temp. It has an option to saving the backups in the same directory as the parent file.

I like the concept of saving backups in other than the family directory to remove clutter, but I wish it had the option to save them in a folder within the family directory....

Message 4 of 6
talalaevd

There is 2 way to store backups file (*.001.rvt) in same folder with project ( default folder Backup) and locate it by user (as you wish for all files). Bim2b team

Дмитрий Талалаев
Эксперт BIM2B
Блог
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 6
scbunker
in reply to: talalaevd

@talalaevd, thanks for the reply.

I see that now, and I spoke too soon when I said something about keeping backups in a separate folder, because I see that your app does that, which I like a lot!

I still think that your app should default to save in the project folder, to prevent confusion for new users. I really thought something was going wrong with Revit.

I must also apologize for reviewing your app in the app store before I realized that it does indeed save in a Backup folder. My review is not yet visible on your store page (I guess it's still processing), but as soon as it is, I'll edit it to correct my error. (I hope you can edit reviews in the store...)

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
scbunker

You may also want to have an option for the backup files to save in the project folder (instead of a Backup folder within the project folder), since this is Revit's default. Some people may prefer that. I do not, but some may. Just a thought.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report