Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Dummy Table

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ebsoares
10963 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a Dummy Table

Is there a way to create an actual table in Revit? Not necessarily a schedule, which has data tied to real elements/components in the model, but a dummy table with content simply typed in it for the purpose of extra info, not tied to anything live in Revit.

If there is a way, could you please explain how to make it?
Currently, what we have been doing is, I'm serious, creating vertical and horizontal lines to mimic the table, and have a single piece of text in each "cell"...

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Edgar

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sragan
in reply to: ebsoares

Not sure if you are trying to make a separate dummy table, or extend some additional info onto an Revit table?

For the 1st case, you can make a table in autocad and import it into revit.  You can even make the table in Excel, import it into autocad with data links, and then import the autocad table into revit.   Its not as bad as it sounds - probably only 5 or 10 min to set up.

If you are trying to add extra info to a Revit table, adding extra parameters is probably the way to go.   They can be text or number parameters, but that way you can just extend an existing table.   You can also type the info. for these "parameters" right into the table.  You don't always have to go back to the element or family to change the text.

Message 3 of 9
ebsoares
in reply to: sragan

Thank you so much for the super quick reply, @sragan, but oh, that was not what I was looking to find out 😁.

Yes, I am indeed trying to create a new table with all content not linked to anything in Revit (really, just a dummy table). I was aware about linking AutoCAD files to Revit, though doing so simply to work with tables is not optimal. I am not a big fan of adding complexity to files/models for such small purposes, though I understand linking perhaps Excel files to tables (due to Excel's much better handling of formulas and whatnot)...

If I could trouble you just a little further, is there really no other way to have an in-Revit table (standalone, not linked to anything inside or outside of Revit)? Perhaps an add-in that adds that functionality?

Message 4 of 9
sragan

Have a look at this:

How to Create a Table in Revit | CADnotes (cad-notes.com)

I think they basically use an unused category (not many people use topology, so thats one option).   Once you get the table set up, you can add rows and enter text.  You can also hide the columns that refer to "topology", so they don't really matter.

Message 5 of 9
ToanDN

@ebsoares wrote:

Is there a way to create an actual table in Revit? Not necessarily a schedule, which has data tied to real elements/components in the model, but a dummy table with content simply typed in it for the purpose of extra info, not tied to anything live in Revit.

If there is a way, could you please explain how to make it?
Currently, what we have been doing is, I'm serious, creating vertical and horizontal lines to mimic the table, and have a single piece of text in each "cell"...

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Edgar

Several ways, all free:

- Create a Key Schedule using an unused category.  This works okay if your text are brief.  if your text are paragraph long then editing the table can be a hassle and you may even need to use Multi-line Text instead of normal Text  parameters in order to see and edit the text content effectively.

- Datalink an excel table in AutoCAD and link the DWG in Revit.  It works okay as long as you are comfortable with datalink mechanism.

- Newer versions of Revit can link PDF so you could export an Excel table to PDF and link PDF pages in Revit.  When you need update, simply re-export the PDF and reload PDF pages.  

Message 6 of 9
ebsoares
in reply to: sragan

Wow @sragan, as far as workarounds go, this is a great! Just short of an "annotation" table 😊

It fixes my problem to a "T".

Thanks a bunch!

Message 7 of 9
ebsoares
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the reply, @ToanDN. It's similar to what @sragan, though you also mentioned the PDF option. I think that short of the "schedule keys", this PDF option would still be a step closer to a solution than linking to AutoCAD.

Again, thank you both for helping a Revit newbie!

Message 8 of 9
iainsavage

Its good that you got a solution but I would encourage you to get to grips with Revit schedules and adding your own parameters - once you get used to it you’ll probably never go back to “dumb” tables.

Message 9 of 9
ebsoares
in reply to: iainsavage

I'm with you there...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report