Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circuit Prefix

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dtiemeyer
2198 Views, 4 Replies

Circuit Prefix

When I create a panel in Revit MEP, Revit automatically creates a bunch of parameters. One of them is called 'Circuit Prefix', its under 'Electrical - Circuiting' group.  If I add receptacles to this panel, my assumption is that this 'Circuit Prefix' would be a nice substitution to make:

REALLYLONGPANELNAME-1,3,5

become

PNL-1,3,5

Is this the intention?  In my Electrical Fixture tag (for receptacles) I cannot find how to access the 'Circuit Prefix' parameter that is auto-created.

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dtiemeyer

As convenient as it may seem, I believe that this is one of the electrical features that Revit messed up. At least as far as Revit 2014, since I haven't checked this in a newer version, yet. Anyhow, as you see, you can select a Panel and specify a Circuit Prefix and Prefix Separator. In order to apply this to the Electrical Circuits, you must change Circuit Naming to "Prefix". This automatically changes all of the Circuit Numbers belonging to this panel to include the specified prefix. Now, for the part that they messed up, in the Panel Schedule, this Prefix will be included in the Circuit Number there, too.

ElecCircuitPrefix.JPG

This Prefix Parameter is not otherwise available to Tags or Elements. As such, I have found no way to efficiently using this function and escape the addition of this Prefix in the Panel Schedule. I recommend use the link below to provide feedback.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for clarifying that Corey. You're absolutely right, they screwed that up completely. Isn't the whole idea of a 'prefix' that it is not actually part of the data, but a 'prefix' to it? Instead they redefined the circuit name.  I'll be sure to use that link you included.

Message 4 of 5
MuirEng
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Thanks for the conversation. As I understand it the workaround would be to use short panel names, i.e. instead of "Panel A", use "A" instead? This is what I did with Autocad MEP because I much prefer the circuit tag to read something like "A21" and not "Panel A21" - the latter clutters up the drawing like crazy. In AMEP I also created a panel name tag that prefixed the text "Panel" in front of the panel name. That worked great. I was planning to build it the same way in Revit.

I have a couple of projects where I about to start circuiting so I guess I'll find out soon enough if it better or worse for this particular task than AutoCAD MEP. Fingers crossed!

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
Dedicated Sub Forum For Electrical
Thanks!
Message 5 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: MuirEng

I guess the main difference is that Revit can combined loads upstream of branch panels as well. So if you have a building with 100 branch panelboards, do you really want your distribution panel having 33 circuits named 'A'? Overriding the circuit description becomes a management nightmare, as it is one of the few things Revit doesn't 'link', its more of a one-time association that can be overwritten (and cleared) easily, and becomes error-prone whereas so many other things in Revit are truly linked data, like section heads to referenced sheets.

Dont get me wrong, I'm excited for my firm to begin using this technology, it just seems a couple little 'bugs/flaws' is all it takes for electrical engineers to totally write off an otherwise good idea and say "I'm just gonna keep using Excel".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report