Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot save as central

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
34970 Views, 6 Replies

cannot save as central

I made a new file with the architect's central file loaded in. Saved it as my local file. I am the only person working on the new file but because we were in a hurry and waiting on information I made a copy of this file in which I created alternate layouts. The alternate has since been discarded but now every time I open the File I get a message " this local file has been copied.................." and tells me that in order to fix this I must save as the central file. I have looked this up and followed the steps indicated but my "save as central" is always greyed out as is "open workset default". Everything works fine but I would like to get rid of this annoying message.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can't save as central because your copy still thinks it's a local file linked to the original central file.  Open it again, this time checking the "detach from central" instead of "create new local" option from the open screen.  Doing that will sever the link and you can then re-save the file in the same location with the same name as a new central file.

The problem is that you didn't detach from central when you created your copy of the original model - the two are still linked, just like the local file in your documents folder does.  I sincerely hope you didn't synchronize this second model after you created it, because if you did you probably just made your original model a duplicate of the copy.

In the future, I recommend using Design Options to create alternate layouts within a single model.  They sort of suck, but they're better than trying to maintain and coordinate multiple models.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

My options when I open the file to detach from central or to create new
local are both greyed out.

Lynda Riches

Nelson Electric Co., Inc.
1410 Freeport Blvd. / Sparks, NV 89431
775-358-0643 p / 775-358-0674 f
lyndar@nelsonelectric.net

Celebrating 40 Years of Success / Since 1972
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Lynda. Maybe the problem is that there is no workset or workset is not activated in the project which is why it's greyed out. Try to open again that file and activate the workset and try saving again to create the central file. Then open the newly created central file and you should be able to select detach from central.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Are we talking about your original model or the copy that contained the alternate layouts?  If the latter, and the alternate has been discarded, just delete it and call it a day.

If it's the original model that you want to continue working in, first, as mentioned above, make sure that worksharing is enabled.  Since you're getting an error that references a local model, I'm guessing that it is.

Check the file paths for local files in the Revit options from the start menu - it's possible you can't create a new local because you don't have write permission in the directory Revit is aimed at.

Are you trying to open the model from the central file or from your local?  If the latter, don't do that.  Use the central model.  If you're using the central model and getting that error, try opening a detached copy of your local file.  If you can do that without an error, verify that it's the original and not the alternate model.  If it's the original, save it as the new central using the "make this a central file" option and say yes when it asks if you want to overwrite/delete backups.

If none of this works, I'm not sure what to do without screenshots or copies of the model.

Message 6 of 7
ssaadD4GDQ

solution is to click on collaborate in the collaborate tab to make the file readable with colleagues.
after it save and close. then re-open the file and make sure to that create new local is checked 

Message 7 of 7
Dave_Texter
in reply to: ssaadD4GDQ

It's 2023 now, and this information is still amazing... Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators