Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Tray Elbow

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
telushiad
7406 Views, 13 Replies

Cable Tray Elbow

Good day,

In need to create an elbow that starts at a right angle and that has the ability adopt the angle of the routing of the cable tray.  We need to change the shape to suit the shape of trunking.

I have attached a few pictures with examples.  The third picture has an example of an elbow.

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
robert.klempau
in reply to: telushiad

Hello @telushiad,

Do you need a Cable Tray like this?

cable Tray mittered elbow.png

If so, I can show you how.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 3 of 14
rudi.roux

Hi @telushiad

Have you used the Electrical (MEP) Fabrication Parts yet? If not, HERE is a very quick video overview, there are quite a few on YouTube. 

To make use of this within Revit 2016 / 2017, simply follow the steps below.

Under you Systems Tab >> Fabrication >> Click on the Icon

1-fab-1.png

This will then open the MEP Fabrication Parts Pallet, but yours would possibly still be empty. 

1-fab-2.png

[1] - Click on Settings... which will open the Fabrication Settings.

[2] - Click on the "Learn how to set fabrication configuration and services", this will open a page which will guide you and provide you with either Metric or Imperial Content for the Revit version you are using, either 2016 or 2017.

[3] - After installing the content (you might need to restart Revit), go to Systems Tab again >> Fabrications >> Settings... (as per [1]). Then select "Revit MEP Metric or Imperial Content". 

[4] - Add Electrical: Wireway from the Unloaded Services to Loaded Services. 

You'll then have all of the fittings which you require at your disposal. 

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 4 of 14
telushiad
in reply to: robert.klempau

Hi Robert,

This is exactly what I need.  The project is in 2015 so unfortunately we are unable to make use of fabrication parts.

Regards,

Telushia

Message 5 of 14
telushiad
in reply to: rudi.roux

Good day Rudi,

Thank you very much for the advise. I will definitely look into this.  At this stage the project is being modeled in 2015 but this looks very exciting for prospective 2016 project.

Thank you.

Regards,

Telushia

Message 6 of 14
rudi.roux

Hi @telushiad

No worries, you could always bookmark this thread for future use. Actually, as I was busy compiling my post I was wondering on which version of Revit you're using. Smiley LOL 

I attached a file for you with what you require and it is for Revit 2015. I also included a couple of additional fittings. 

All you would need to do is to Transfer the Project Standards into your existing Project. On the "_Home Screen" you'll find step-by-step instructions on how to do this. (Maybe before doing this, rename the Family Types as per your company/project standards).

OR 

You could simply only Edit Family >> Save As and then Load the Elbow Family which you require into your project.

1-ct-3.png

You'll notice that there are a couple of additional fittings included, as can be seen below.

1-ct-2.png

1-ct-1.png

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 7 of 14
robert.klempau

Hello @telushiad,

I will upload a video and show you how to do this.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 8 of 14
robert.klempau

Hello @telushiad,

Ok, what I did is I took the M_Rectangular Elbow - Mitered.rfa Duct Fitting and opened it in the family editor.

I changed the type of the family to Cable Tray Fitting and set the Part Type to ‘Channel Vertical Elbow’.

I also changed the OmniClass Number to 23.80.30.17.17.

Then I replaced the Duct Connectors with Cable Tray connectors.

And last I renamed some parameters.

After that I saved the family to ‘CT_Rectangular Vert Elbow – Mitered.rfa’ and loaded it into the Revit Template file.

After that I changed the Part Type in the family to ‘Channel Elbow’ and saved the family to ‘CT_Rectangular Elbow - Mitered.rfa’ and loaded that one also into the Revit Tmplate.

In the Revit template file I opened the cable tray Type that I want to use these families in and selected the ‘CT_Rectangular Elbow - Mitered.rfa’ family for the ‘Horizontal Bend’ and selected the ‘CT_Rectangular Vert Elbow – Mitered.rfa’ family for the ‘Vertical Inside Bend’ and Vertical Outside bent.

cable Tray mittered elbow type.png

You will find both families in the attachment.

You could use the same approach for the Tee, Transition and Union.

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 9 of 14
telushiad
in reply to: robert.klempau

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your assistance it worked perfectly and a thank you for the addition of the two families.

Regards,

Telushia

Message 10 of 14
robert.klempau

Hello Telushia,

I really appreciatie that you let me know that it worked for you. 🙂

I am glad that I could help you.

This is why I am active on the forum!

Kind regards,

Robert

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 11 of 14
wickedzik

Hi rklempau.

Thanks for your advice and tips on this matter. Fabrication part Fittings are somewhat similar to what is required in my project.
But how can i filter my trunking i created from
fabrication parts? I have different service types such as trunking for power and trunking for fire alarm and cctv.

I hope you can help me on this concern.

Thank you sir.
Message 12 of 14

thanks

Message 13 of 14
saikumarvsbizz

Hey! Try contacting them. They are the best in the business.

https://www.cabletraycompany.com/

You'll get all your queries resolved.

Message 14 of 14

@robert.klempau  how did you get your cable tray to look like that

dimitri_taho_0-1684264363985.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report