Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Project for Future Access in Years

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
christine.brown
195 Views, 2 Replies

Archiving Project for Future Access in Years

Is there a correct way to archive a Revit files so that, say a Revit 17 project, can be accessed years to come by Revit 25? We are thinking log term in case Autodesk has in future changed enough of the software coding that the future software cannot open or update a previous version directly. We have projects in which we sometimes go back 10-years or more.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Thanks for the post,

this has been an issue, and is increasing as technology is developing exponentially.

Sadly no one has a Chrystal ball (If you do please let me know!) so we don't know what the future will look like.

Currently what we do with projects that are reinstated is to push the old file format forward (1 year at a time) to bring it up to date.

Why 1 year at a time, because if you jump a year the functionality might be broken or lost.

In the past Autodesk have provided a service to upgrade files (Can someone help out here and let us know if this is still available?)

Also in the past we has access to the version 'in between' when we wanted to upgrade ourselves, Autodesk provide the releases for this purpose. (Can someone help out here and let us know if this is still available?)

Hope this helps...

Give me Kudos or mark as a solution if this helps
Regards
Laura
Message 3 of 3

Thank you for the response. I would be interested in finding out if anyone from Autodesk can response to your 2-comments. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report