Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View References in text

View References in text

It is quite common to have general notes or even a text object with a leader that says something like "FOR WIDGET TYPE A, SEE DTL 1, SHT A-101".  But to do this I currently have to either place my text and leave whitespace where I'll come back later and place a separate view reference OR type in the view reference by hand which will require that I manually update it if the view and/or change gets renumbered.

Please allow me to insert a view reference into my text objects.

I'm envisioning something similar to FIELDS in AutoCAD.

115 Comments
anielson
Advocate

2021 and I still want this really bad! It seems to me like it should have been there in version 1.0.

krrp
Contributor

I too would enjoy the ability to add a view reference to schedules and  text notes.

Currently in text notes I leave a space and add the view reference on top. Schedules are a bit harder.

GaryOrrMBI
Collaborator

700 votes on this and it's changed to "gathering support", yet I have seen items with only a handful of votes actually get implemented... the metrics don't bear out this being a viable change engine.

BTW, I finally gave up and wrote a function to read a reference initially entered by a user, but then update the text value in a parameter if that previously entered reference gets renumbered or moved to a different sheet, etc...

and, if I can do it with my extremely limited coding skills in a couple of days there is absolutely no reason that a professional programmer can't knock it out in a few minutes... and do a much better job of it...

-G

jasonmccool8686
Advocate

Just to continue to beat a dead horse, this really shouldn't still be an issue in 2022.... Leaving space in dumb text for the view reference looks hokey when the text gets edited and spacing or line breaks change.

J_A_R
Explorer

Yeah, we use references all throughout our General Structural Notes. It is very frustrating to have to go and individually read through all the text and find out if the references are valid or if they need to be updated.

jjenkins2
Enthusiast

It is a very common practice on plans or within a section or detail to refer to another view within a note. Currently we have the note, and we have the view reference which must be re-located whenever the note is edited. It would be most helpful to be able to include defined labels such as a view reference within a text string.

RicWeber
Contributor

This is already an idea out here with a lot of support already: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/view-references-in-text/idi-p/6423681

@sasha.crotty 

jjenkins2
Enthusiast

Thanks @RicWeber, I didn't see that one when I searched. It got my vote too.

anielson
Advocate

Come on Revit, don't let AutoCAD be better than you on this! Everyone needs this so bad. 

Jake.I.Larson
Explorer

As a newer Revit user - I'm very surprised that this feature is not existing in Revit yet! If anyone finds a temporary equivalent fix, please let me know.

jasonmccool8686
Advocate

@grscrivens, your pictures that you had referenced in your last comment from 8-22-2019 don't display currently, but I totally agree with your workflow described. That would be my ideal way of using view references. It's kind of surprising given Revit's focus on coordinated content and eliminating contradicting information via live sections and whatnot that they wouldn't make the text more "intelligent" and able to update automatically with live references like this.

jjenkins2
Enthusiast

It's 2023, why can we still not include a view reference within a text string?

esatis
Advocate

Please add this function! Some kind of @Anonymous or something! 

jasonmccool8686
Advocate

So this thread was started in 2016, then 4 years later it was marked as "gathering support", and it's been another 3 years now, so just another 5 or 6 years to go of "gathering support" for Autodesk to finally implement an incredibly basic and obvious improvement. Maybe we'll see this added in the Revit 2030 release... maybe. Not that this is a surprise; look at how many years it took Revit to finally get up to the same level of text formatting that AutoCAD had had since AutoCAD R14 back in the 90's....

SethO
Enthusiast
Amen!
gratzlaff
Participant

You can get text view references from plug-ins so why wont autodesk just create it and add it to revit?  Everyone's been wanting this since the beginning of revit! 

scbunker
Collaborator

@gratzlaff, what's an example of a Revit add-in that will allow you to put view references in text?

esatis
Advocate

I asked about this in this years Roadmap AMA https://youtu.be/HLrrGEtBKEM?t=1857

'On our radar, not on roadmap'

So don't get your hopes up, probably 3-4 Revit versions still to go.

jasonmccool8686
Advocate

Disappointing, but not surprising. Kinda like when everyone was complaining about not having basic text formatting functionality in Revit that had been in AutoCAD for 20+ years already, and Autodesk somehow thought "sketchy lines" was a priority over that....

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Figured I'd drop by and share some insider knowledge about feature prioritization. Not all features are created equal - some things that look easy are enormously hard while others, like sketchy lines, are actually a relatively small effort. Specifically, reworking the text editor in Revit was about 100X the effort of sketchy lines in addition to two previous efforts that were not successful. In many cases, the effort involved may not even be obvious to a developer at the start and is impossible to gauge based on the user interface changes alone. Smaller efforts can be fit in between other larger projects. The larger efforts can be very challenging to schedule due to either the right team working on something else (not all dev teams are created equal), other critical priorities, or core software rewrites. For example, the team that worked on sketchy lines did not have the right skillset to work on text. Importance is just one of many factors that goes into prioritization, so just because something isn't implemented doesn't mean it's not important. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators