Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View References in text

View References in text

It is quite common to have general notes or even a text object with a leader that says something like "FOR WIDGET TYPE A, SEE DTL 1, SHT A-101".  But to do this I currently have to either place my text and leave whitespace where I'll come back later and place a separate view reference OR type in the view reference by hand which will require that I manually update it if the view and/or change gets renumbered.

Please allow me to insert a view reference into my text objects.

I'm envisioning something similar to FIELDS in AutoCAD.

115 Comments
jesser
Enthusiast

We are trying to reference a 3D view similar to callouts or elevations, but that is not an option.  So trying to hack it using view reference and added symbol lines for appearance, but NO LEADER!  How can a 3D program (which I love I add) not have a great way to reference a 3D view.  Especially now that we can add notes and dimensions.

I really hope I am missing something simple.

pieter4
Advisor

You're not missing anything but there's a separate idea for that one: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/view-reference-leader/idi-p/6602665

also, as a workaround for now:  since Revit 2017 you can make a 'standalone' leader: create a textfield, add a leader and delete all text

scbunker
Collaborator

@jesser, unfortunately you're not missing anything. See here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/callout-for-3d-views/idi-p/7558663

casquatch
Collaborator

@pieter4, funny we've always used an empty Generic Annotation family for adding a leader where leaders couldn't be added. Just place the thing, then select "it" and hit the Add Leader button. Works about the same and is supported in older versions of Revit.

Just saying 🙂 not trying to derail this Idea post.

lionel.kai
Advisor

For all the versions before 2017, you can just put an invisible character in the Text (we use ZWNJ: Alt+0157, the same for Dimensions, Grids, Revisions, and many other things Revit is stupid about). Great also for having two different types of leader arrows from the same piece of Text. 🙂 Though there sometimes is some weirdness when upgrading to 2017.

jesser
Enthusiast

I am strongly against placing anything "invisible"... a recipe for disaster if taken to a larger scale.  I think a view reference should simply have LEADER capability OR EVEN BETTER YET is to be able to reference 3D views.  So for now I have created a custom view reference family, added the symbolic annotation lines, and drawn detail lines in the specific views I want to see the callout in.  That to me is a better solution then hidden elements.  

tim.knappSO
Advocate

Please include the ability to include smart view references within a text box.

For example:   

NOTES:

1. FOR WINDOW DETAILS, SEE DETAIL 2 ON SHEET A-401 (the red being tied to the actual view# & sheet #).
Tags (1)
cprettyman
Collaborator

Tim

I'm all for this - and will vote for it - but I wanted to note that this idea has been posted before. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/view-references-in-text/idi-p/6423681

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/view-references-in-texts-legends/idi-p/7973787

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/view-references-within-text-box-and-or-generic-annotation...

I think it's generally better (and preferred by the admins) to add comments to and vote in favor of existing ideas,, rather than start a new thread.  It lets Autrodesk see that it's one idea with a lot of support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keynote Manager from Revolution Design has this functionality.

tim.knappSO
Advocate

cprettyman,
I didn't see those, although I didn't spend the time looking either.  I agree with you, it is better to have the single post vs. multiples.  Voting gets skewed.

mdoeller
Explorer

Add an option that allows view references to be integrated into text.  Currently, the user has to either leave a number of spaces in their text and then insert a view reference or they have to use text only for a view reference.  The first work around is a challenge if you need to modify the text after the fact.  The second is hard if the view is renumbered or placed on a different sheet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update on this? Seems to fundamentally flawed that you cant to do something as simple as add a leader to a view reference. 

grscrivens
Explorer

Provide the ability to insert a view reference tag into annotation text such that the tag is an integral part of the text object and behaves like a word in the text.  Currently, I am dropping a view reference next to the text object and every time there is a change to the text, the reference tag is left out to position relative to the edited text.

Tags (1)
awasyliw
Advocate

Have you considered adding a label linked to an instance text parameter in your reference tag, so that you can fill it on the drawing with the text you want, and then doing away with the annotation text altogether?

No disrespect meant, but I feel this may be a case of using the wrong tool for the job?

grscrivens
Explorer

Yes, that can work for brief text items. However, for longer passages, this will not work as it will not allow detailed adjustment of the text bounding box. Further, the editing process would be awkward. 

dusty.masanz
Explorer

YES! or expand this function to basically work like embedded hyper text so that you may automatically coordinate elements within text fields ie: "Refer to view <<ViewNumberOnSheet>>/ <<Sheet##.Number>>" in the text editor would display as "Refer to view 1/A-101".  As much as I don't like putting un-coordinated references in text fields, I still find myself needing to do it quite often.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

This could be introduced just like the data fields in Autodesk's own CAD software. Somehow, I think that would be considered as being against Revit's not CAD philosopy.

@grscrivens would you mind uploading a picture of text added with view references?

grscrivens
Explorer
See example at bottom below - before and after editing the text object.
Note the mess after editing and forgetting to re-position the tag. This
would be solved if the view reference could be added within the text object
and behave as a word in the text. Suggested method: Right click within
the text where the tag is required to bring up drop down menu, chose *Insert
View Reference *which brings up the menu below. Now select type and view,
and click OK. Done - the appropriate and coordinated view reference is
inserted at the click location.
If the referenced view is not on, or is removed from a sheet, the vref
should change color (or similar) as a warning.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]
GaryOrrMBI
Collaborator

Yes.

And while you're at it, include the View Reference Parameter for Families/Types/Instances that can be created and added via Shared Parameters to Family Types/Instances either directly or via Assignment via Project Parameters, thus also allowing scheduling per:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/smart-view-references-embedded-in-schedules/idc-p/9512784...

-G

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Congratulations! We are updating this thread to Gathering Support. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report