Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Parameters in Elevation and Section Marks, Callout Heads and View Referen

31 Comments
rana.hamed
Advocate

we need to add shared parameters to the view reference family as (building type , level indicator,.... ) mainly they are  parameters driven from the title block.

we need this urgently in all our projects.

Tags (1)
DhananjayaGR
Participant

Please improve view reference family so that we can add shared parameters created for projects like Client Initials, Area Code/Zone, Discipline Code, Drawing Type etc.

I think most of us use sheet numbers as 001, A-001, S-101 etc. in Revit. But final drawing/sheet number will include all the above mentioned parameters.

Eg: If my sheet number is 002(Entered in Revit as sheet number); 476 is area code, DGR is the company's initials, STR is the Discipline code and DD is the drawing type (all are shared parameters) FINAL drawing number will become DGR-476-STR-DD-002-A0(Revision).

But while giving view reference only 002 will come! If we give DGR-476-STR-DD-002 as sheet number in Revit, it will affect all the section heads, elevation heads, View port title etc.

Tags (2)
pieter5
Advisor

We would like to use this feature to have our own sheet numbering (that allows duplicate numbers, has a prefix etc) and instance based reference labels. 

For this to work, the shared parameter should work for both the view (for instance based reference labels) and the sheet the view is placed on (for the sheet number).

Meelis123
Enthusiast

There is a workaround for this.

For example, you want to add a shared parameter to your section tag.

1. Start creating a new family using default Section Head template.

2. Switch the family category to Window Tags.

3. Put new label to the drawing.

4. It will allow you to add custom shared parameter now. You may use any of the categories which has this option available, Door Tags for example.

5. Swich the family category back to Section Marks.

That's it. Now you have your shared parameter in the tag.

I use this method to add a parameter called "View Identifier" to my section and elevation tags. The reason for this is that there is no sheet and detail number available if section or elevation is not put on a sheet (draft views for example) hence you don't know which one of your countless sections/elevations it is unless you click on it. Yes, you can add view name to your tag but I have quite long view names which would look horrible on plan. So this "View Identifier", a shared project parameter, is just a short name I give to my views, it could be anything.

However, keep in mind that as soon as you switch the family category to something else, new built-in parameters appear and old ones disappear. And it will mess with your existing labels with built-in parameters. For example when I tested this, I switched the Section Head category to Window Tags category. My two parameters inside the label - Sheet Number & Detail Number - turned both into Assembly Name parameter. When I switched it back to Section Head category, they turned both into Detail Number parameter. So be sure to create your shared parameters first, otherwise you may need to create your built-in parameter labels again from scratch.

Meelis123
Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot the most important thing. It should be like this instead:

1. Start creating a new family using default Section Head template.

2. Switch the family category to Window Tags.

3. Put new label to the drawing.

4. It will allow you to add custom shared parameter now. You may use any of the categories which has this option available, Door Tags for example.

5. Select label and click CTRL+X (copy to clipboard)

6. Swich the family category back to Section Marks.

7. Paste from Clipboard.

Otherwise it would change your shared parameter after the switch to some random built-in parameter as well.

Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

we need to be able to add shared parameters to the viewport symbol and some other families

ViewPort.JPG

Tags (1)
Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

allow in callout to have data more than view & sheet number like view name or scale or any other custom data we need to show in the callout reference
also allow it to have arrow
callout.JPG

adrian.calabria
Advocate

From an armchair perspective, this should be one of those "Little Things" that is easy to do, keeps us happy & makes us feel like we are being heard.

• It has heaps of support
    • therefore it should have been seen by the team.
  • It doesn't seem like it needs to be part of a roadmap as it is an enhancement rather than a feature.
  • If it's a programming issue that prevents it from being implemented, please tell us about it so we aren't sitting here wondering.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

many thanks for your support

cprettyman
Collaborator

@Meelis123

Thank you for the work-around you posted.  That seems to work for callouts - but in my initial tests, it's not working when I place a callout that references an existing view.  Have you had this issue?  Was there a fix.

cprettyman
Collaborator

I agree that this idea seems to have decent support - it certainly has my support.  But, I thought I would toss in one more use case.  It's a very specific example, but I am sure that others have similar examples, and it's just one example supporting an idea that probably has a wide range of applications.

On our AV plans, when we call out an enlarged room plan, we like to identify the AV system in the room.  The project could have, for example, 6 architecturally similar conference rooms, 3 of which are set up with an AV system for teleconferencing, and the other three as "presentation" or some other AV scope.  So, we would have two enlarged plans (one for each type of AV system) and have some additional callouts that reference those views (SIM).  That we can, and do, accomplish easily.  But, it's hugely valuable to us, and more to the end users reviewing the drawings, if the callouts have an added parameter that can say "TELECONFERENCE" or "PRESENTATION' or whatever - this helps the end users see where the different AV setups are located - without having to keep track of which enlarged plan is which, it helps us to get the callouts placed correctly, and it helps the contractors get to the correct detail sheet more easily.

isla.marshall
Community Visitor

Just another comment to add the numbers of support for this! I have voted at the top of this feed.

nick.wade
Explorer

I've just posted a similar request but have up-voted this request too to bump up those votes.

After 5 years of use, I still get the feeling that Revit is a work in progress and is proving problematic and costly for the industry..... (especially for MEP)!

Hopefully our revit developer friends are taking notes of all of these suggestions.

mmcintosh-ral
Advocate

Please add this functionality to the software we have to use to do our jobs. 

M-Alam
Advocate

it would be great to be able to add shared parameters to callout head family. Sometimes we use a shared parameter for sheet number instead of the sheet number parameter and it becomes an tricky when we have a callout. I know a workaround but it would be cool if the family has this option. 

pieter5
Advisor

This is a duplicate post to this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/shared-parameters-in-elevation-and-section-marks-callout-...

consider adding your vote there

M-Alam
Advocate

@pieter5 Thank you for sharing the link. upvoted that post.

M-Alam
Advocate

Commenting to add support for this idea.

j.enzon
Explorer

Up! Adding comment for year 2021 to support this idea.

wr.marshall
Advisor

not yet available in Revit 2022

AUGI wish (2015): Shared Parameters for Elevation Mark, Section Mark, Callout Head & View Reference Families. 

not urgent ,but a nice to have would be that the label window is resizable

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report