Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Rule Filters as a Loadable Selection

Use Rule Filters as a Loadable Selection

Under Manage-Selection-Edit - both Rule Based and Selection Filters are available.  But under "Load" (what you use to actually select elements in a view) only the selection filters are available.  I think there would be some major benefits to being able to use a Rule Based Filter as a Selection Set.  For example - I have a rule based filter that captures all Wide Flange Columns for view filters - why can i not also use that as a loadable selection filter? 

9 Comments
marcus.zavala
Explorer

YES PLEASE! Having the option of selecting by Project or by View only would be great! Good idea.

joao.jorge_14
Contributor

Totally agree this feature would be great.

Anyway, a way you can deal with this is making a rule based filter>hide the visibility of the filter (in VV)> hide everything you have visible> make visible the ruled base filter> make your set  

https://vimeo.com/user97241617/review/329619955/88198fb22e

Aaron485
Advocate

Did this happen to ever get implemented?  I want to only select members that "do not begin with" HSS, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get this unless I am just missing it.

Basically I want to create a Rule and use it to select a lot of members at once.

joao.jorge_14
Contributor

Aaron485,

If you have revit 2019 or 2020 the filter tool as this capability.1.png

Then watch my previous post that shows how you can convert a ruled base filter in a selection.

Ps: if this is a solution please mark it as such

Aaron485
Advocate

joao jorge, I am using Revit 2019 and made my Rule based filter, but the link to the video no longer works.

joao.jorge_14
Contributor
Aaron485
Advocate

What box are you bringing up to apply the Rule Set?  I can't see in the gip, it's blurry when large and to small to read normal.  It looks like Filter is the last tab on what ever you are brining up and I haven't found that yet.

joao.jorge_14
Contributor

(VV) visibility/ Graphic overrides, filter tab

pete_heibel
Explorer

Great idea @bosborne (sorry, years later...). For anyone currently going down this rabbit hole, there are two workarounds I found for this until Autodesk enables loading rule-based filters:

1. Fire up the Selections Manager command found within the free DiRootsOne Revit add-in to access all existing rule-based filters in the project.
  2. Use Dynamo, along with some custom nodes, to create a selection set from whatever you feed it.

Hope this helps. If someone knows a better way, sharing is caring. 🙃

dirootsone_rule based filter.png

2dynamo_custom selection set.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report