Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Lock

Ultimate Lock

As a model manager, BIM manager, etc... We need more stringent controls over files we set up, like -

• Never add another line type or pattern, make users have to pick one from a standard baked into the template when inserting content - maybe a layer translation file that was taken away for exporting??
  • Super Pin - never able to edit specific content without a password or something.

19 Comments
CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

As a model manager, BIM manager, etc... We need more stringent controls over files we set up, like -

• Never add another line type or pattern, make users have to pick one from a standard baked into the template when inserting content - maybe a layer translation file that was taken away for exporting??
  • Super Pin - never able to edit specific content without a password or something.

Tags (5)
CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

Tags (5)
cprettyman
Collaborator

Workset locking!

Honestly, it doesn't even need a password (although that could be a good option), just the ability too check out / lock a workset and have it not relinquish when you sync would be great.

JMounteer
Enthusiast

Agreed! 

The BIM Manager is a role Autodesk champions when discussing implementations, give them tools to let them manage! It would help eliminate time-consuming (therefore costly) errors by the less sophisticated staff. While we'd love all users to be experts, they aren't. There will always be a time a user comes in on the weekend to "catch up" and accidentally alter something that affects the whole project unknowingly. (View Templates seems to be the most frequent culprit)

• Locking View Templates
  • "Permanently" Pinning objects that shouldn't move without the BIM/ Project Manager's ok. - Reference files, Levels, Grids
  • Lockout of the Title Block/ certain families (Oh, unsuspecting junior designer; no, you don't handle this like you did in CAD and then publish because you couldn't find me.)
  • Lockdown of the Object Styles/ Lineweights/ other project-wide objects. 
CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

We could add to the list:

• View Templates
  • Linked Models (super pin)
  • Project Settings
  • Units
  • Object Styles
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best idea I've seen for a long time. I'd like that super-pin function to lock geometry regardless of any external influences, eg-moving a wall on level A will move aligned wall on level B. We need more functionality to disassociate elements when required. And yes, also really sick of resetting VT's!

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's multiple threads of this going atm, so I hope admin can consolidate into a single thread without losing anything.

Revit already has a users permissions feature but syncing and closing files without relinquishing worksets is not good enough, need the ability to lock stuff at the top level.

more for the list:

disable import of CAD

remove any button/tool not required for specific user

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see a admin control interface, where u can give users defined roles with specific rights. And a graphical overview about the change history in the model. 

rakotoarisoa_m
Enthusiast

Is it possible to disallow modification of pinned beam (without putting it in a locked workset) because you can modify it even if it is pinned.

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

This idea is quite basic and you can easily find it on various electronic devices and services today. Parental controls allow a 'parent' or administrator in our case, to control what the 'child' or user is able to do (enable/disable certain tools and features, within Revit). This feature would be invaluable for any company (or companies) that are collaborating within Revit, with multiple users (especially across multiple worldwide locations). 

For example, as an administrator, I want to be able to lock the 'View Template' window from being configured by certain users. I want certain features to only be accessible to a certain group of Revit users (admin team or QA/QC team) that are versed in being able to solve the problem correctly.

Losing work in Revit because of a simple unintended error from a newer team member or software user can set a project back anywhere from a couple hours to a week or even more. This problem is rampant in my current work and it's infuriating to deal with, but for the most part, completely unintended, typically, on the inexperienced/ignorant/new hire/etc. user's side.

Please let me know what you think about this idea. Could it help your firm's collaboration in Revit?

lionel.kai
Advisor

The "check out Workset" workaround doesn't even work for all cases. I've tried checking out all model elements (by selecting them in 3D), but invariably the guy that's supposed to "just be doing detailing" needs permission for something. It seems that model elements are also "modified" when certain annotation is applied. For this idea to work well, they'd probably need to completely overhaul the permissions system.

_andyman
Contributor

Ability to Pin (Lock) all parameters of elements. Currently, any properties listed in the property browser may still be altered even if the element is pinned! This ranges anywhere from worksets to door hardware.

Marcus.Isacsson
Collaborator

Would be neat to have the possibility to lock Revit files.
I get that 'sharing is caring' but sometimes you don't want to share the result with other consultants.
Specially if parts of your work are somehow classified.

Another example are cases where we're designing the initial phase and another firm carries on.
In those cases we usually don't want to share alot of pre-work for free, but we still would like to let them have the result.

We consider the Revit file as our "tool" rather than the end result.
Sometimes we share our 'tool' sometimes we don't.

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you lock down your DWG files before you moved to Revit?

Revit has to have the ability to modify a linked model so that I can turn on/off categories or change the visibility settings of those categories.  If I couldn't do this your model is useless.

As for if someone else carries on your model...90% of the time I have started from scratch instead of using someone else's model.

dgorsman
Consultant

Downside is, this would open a hole for ransomware, employees overly protective of their jobs, or the just careless.  By the time features like enterprise dual-key/administration override/etc. are added there's no real security left.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are not the one that have to figure out how this could be achieved. We just want this feature. It would be  up to the user to use it or not. As everything is now there is no protection what so ever unless we have 360 licence (or not even that, we never used it). We wanted to print/export stuff with an watermark and not even that is possible... Lame...

Anonymous
Not applicable
phillipshelpdesk
Explorer

Yes x 1000.  We must have an administrative interface at the BIM management level; no add-ins, no 3rd party interfaces -- this should be a part of basic out-of-the box functionality.

andrefiaschi
Contributor

The PIN tool just locks the element into the place that it is. However you can still modify its properties and change the Type. So, we can accidentally modify family instances, pulling its hangers for exemple.

It would be great to have a LOCK tool that locks the position and also blocks any kind of editing and pops-up a window requesting to unlock the element(s) in case the user tries to do so.

It could be an option inside the PIN tool as well or the PIN tool could be renamed to LOCK tool perhaps?!

- Lock position

- Lock properties and type

- Lock everything

Just brainstorming here 😃

Thanks!

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report