Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK19: Fix Legends - 12 Ideas

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Chris_D_UK
2487 Views, 9 Replies

UK19: Fix Legends - 12 Ideas

This Idea is part of a series I'm putting together following the release of Revit 2018 and the update of the Revit Roadmap. It focuses on the low level broken bits of Revit that haven’t been fixed for years on end, and the Factory continually ignores, as they focus more on adding niche cutting-edge functionality instead of helping the bread-and-butter firms that pay their subs and whose time is being wasted on workarounds and inefficiency. Look for the prefix UK19.

LEGENDS

Legends have been broken for many years, and despite countless wishlist posts and Revit Ideas submissions, they remain unfixed, off the roadmap, and fundamentally unusable.

Legends may not be a glamorous part of Revit development, but they represent an area that absorbs thousands of wasted hours in workarounds and inefficiency. It's one big area of Revit that simply isn't BIM at all, because we can't leverage the I in the M! None of this can be solved by Dymamo or Third-Party solutions - they're all just time-wasting workarounds.

Here are a dozen areas that need fixing:

1. Taggable Legends

This is BIM, the data is there, let us tag it! We should not have to use dumb text in legends to represent data we’ve added, but can't access in the software. Tags should have full functionality and we should be able to tag whole components such as Wall Types, as well as subcomponents such as Wall Layers. We need to be able to tag materials in Legends. Keynote tags should also work.

2. Dimension Legends

We can crudely dimension limited elements in Legends, but we need full functionality. We need to be able to dimension wall thickness overall AND individual wall layers for instance.

3. Remove View Direction Restrictions

Why do some elements have restrictions on which View Direction is allowed. Ceilings are a classic example, which can't be shown on plan, only in section. We need to show different ceiling tile sizes etc on plan!

4. View Filters

Why don't Visibility/Graphic Override Filters work on Legends?!! When using legends as a key to a drawing that uses Filters, we have to manually make filled regions in matching colours!! Such a waste of time and effort.

5. Flip/Rotate Legend Components

We want to be able to show doors left or right handed, or rotated etc. Remove the restriction.

6. Copy-Paste between Sheets

Legends should not act like other Viewports. They should be able to be copied and pasted between Sheets

7. Transfer between projects

Neither Transfer Project Standards not Insert Views from File work with Legends AND they can't be copy pasted from the Project Browser (like Schedules can). It's laborious to recreate them on several files on a project and wasted hours again!

8. Metric Defaults

You don't know how frustrating it is in the metric world (the entire world except the USA) to keep seeing dumb colonial-era imperial defaults like 914.4mm appear in software, over and over like a recurring nightmare. I'm sure '3 feet' makes sense over there, but it doesn't anywhere else! The default should be 1m.

9. Legend Types (Project Browser)

We can have dozens of Legends in a project, from Noteblocks, to Keyplans, Legend Keys etc. Let us group and organise them in the Project Browser using Legend Types please.

10. Ignore Legend Scale on Sheet

There is no reason that a Legend should affect the Scale value in the titleblock of a Sheet to which it is added.

11. Adjust Parameters of Components

When we add a family component to a legend, we should be able to amend any parameter value (obviously not Type values) to make it display exactly as we wish on the Legend. This applies also curtain panel instance sizes in elevation.

12. Tables in Legends

I'll accept this is a wish, not a fix. Tables have been requested many times in Revit, in various guises. Tables in Legends would be nice.

If I've missed anything fundamental, or if something has been fixed and I've missed it, please comment.

Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Kevin.Bell
in reply to: Chris_D_UK

This area certainly needs work.

One issue I have is showing curtain wall doors in Legends and adjusting their sizes (parameters) to show then correctly...

Message 3 of 10
dazza1639

This Idea will be rejected by Autodesk because it contains multiple ideas.

They only accept one idea per post.

I agree with all of your suggestions, there are some really great things in there.

Darren

Message 4 of 10
Chris_D_UK

We can but try - multiple ideas or not, there a multiple problems with the Legends tool that need a comprehensive fix!

Message 5 of 10
B.Fetzer

Hi Chris !

Great report !

I had a dream 😉

Make Legends to "living Legends".
For Example Lighting Legends: Show only Lightings which are used in the current Project. So we can create a "generell Legend for Lighting" for all of our Projects including all of our Lightings. Like a schedule with filter.

Kind regards,

Bernhard

Message 6 of 10
Basam.Yousif

Thank you for this awesome post! Many tools in Revit have not been modified since version one, and legends are certainly one of them, so is topo etc. I hope that, as they are focusing on MODERN UI - and pull Revit out of its CLUNKY self, they address ALL its issues that make it a truly modern platform.
Message 7 of 10

Notice

This post was moved from an Idea station due to it having more than one Idea per submission for the team to consider as per the guidelines.

The original author has been notified of the move with a request to post the ideas individually.

Anyone who voted for this Idea is encouraged to return to the Idea board and vote on the new ides listed individually.

Thanks in advance for you understanding

Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 10

This is ridiculous overbearing admin!

This IDEAS board is bad enough a system as it stands, but without us being able to make a comprehensive case on individual tools, then we will get nowhere! We are being silenced by the Factory who don't want a comprehensive exposé to exist that demonstrates just how BAD some of the Revit tools really are!!

Message 9 of 10

@Chris_D_UK wrote:

This is ridiculous overbearing admin!

This IDEAS board is bad enough a system as it stands, but without us being able to make a comprehensive case on individual tools, then we will get nowhere! We are being silenced by the Factory who don't want a comprehensive exposé to exist that demonstrates just how BAD some of the Revit tools really are!!

We moved it to the product board and asked you to repost the ideas one at a time per the idea board rules it was not hidden, edited or deleted.

If you have an idea for improving the idea boards themselves. We have a board for that also again one idea per post please.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 10 of 10

Ridiculous Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report