Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total number of sheets

Total number of sheets

As far as I have noticed, Revit's scheme for numbering sheets is based of international or American style. Meanwhile, in Brazil we use a numbering style in the form of "sheet number / total number of sheets". While the current numbering of sheets allows to number individual sheets in this format, adding or removing sheets might be an exhausting task, specially for a very large set of sheets.

I'd like to suggest creating a couple of parameters available to sheet families, one being the total number of sheets and the other the indexed position of the sheet in the sheet set. However, it would also great benefit some uses I've needed if these parameters could retrieve these values from sheet groups on the navigator. For example, a set of 20 sheets with no grouping would provide the value 20 for the total sheet count and from 1 to 20 to index sheet. But if the navigator is configured to group sheets by the first letter (the demo project has this option predefined). So if 14 of these sheets have the A prefix and the remaining 6 have the prefix G, then the total sheet count would be these and the sheets would have the index between 1 to 14 for A sheets and between 1 and 6 for G sheets. Notice these new parameters would not consider the current sheet number in any way. Thus, even if the first sheet is numbered A101, its index number would be 1 and if the second sheet were numbered A206 its index number would still be 2.

With that we, at least in Brazil, would not have to resort to tricks and acrobatics in order to correctly number sheets for our projects.

10 Comments
Ric_Weber
Advocate

The total number of sheets and the sheet index number could be based on a sheet list generated within the project.  At the same time, the title block needs to be able to access this number and the total number.  

So if we have sheet numbers: 

G001

G002

G100

S100

S101

A101

A201

A402

in that order in the sheet list, then that project would number them 1-8 (in that order) of 8.  And that data would retrieved from the project to be able to be used in the title block.  

Leopessoa_arq
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, @Ric_Weber. I’m going to try it out but it sure is not an intuitive or straightforward means to achieve it. Also, will it work out if I have two or more sets of sheets? Having fields for that might prevent others from complaining about and creating workarounds for something that is so simple the most basic apps that work with pages can do.

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@Leopessoa_arq, I wasn't trying to say that it can be done today.  I'm adding to your idea to let Autodesk know how it should work in my opinion.  Unfortunately this is something that Revit desperately needs.  Unfortunately right now, it is just a very manual job.  

Leopessoa_arq
Contributor

@Ric_Weber I got it, but I really don't think that this list should have to be created by the user for the fields to work. Internally maybe, based on the grouping of sheets on the navigator which will allow for multiple set of sheets with different purposes, and surely usable for generating an index sheet if needed.

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@Leopessoa_arq I'm referring to setting up a sheet list, which is created by the user, but is pulling information from the sheets.  I'm unfamiliar with this "navigator" you're referring to?  "...grouping of sheets on the navigator..." is the navigator an add-in you're using?  I'm curious, because currently in order to get sheets to appear in the sheet list the way we want them, we have several custom parameters that we use that have to be input by the user which then directs the sheet list to display the sheets in the order in which we want.  If there is something that might make our lives a little easier I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks!

daniel_carlsonKVQA6
Community Visitor

Boa tarde Leo, 

Eu criei um parâmetro dentro da família de folha e um parâmetro global dentro do template no qual eu só acesso ele e coloco o numero total de folhas e ele preenche em todas as folhas com aquele numero. Faço projeto de instalações, então no mesmo projeto eu tenho pranchas separadas para as disciplinas, então eu tenho um parâmetro para água pluvial, esgoto, água fria e ar condicionado. 

Leopessoa_arq
Contributor

@daniel_carlsonKVQA6 sei que dá pra fazer assim com parâmetros, mas é uma gambiarra. Como eu falei num outro comentário, qualquer programa bobo que lide com páginas tem campos pra isso.

Leopessoa_arq
Contributor

@Ric_Weber you'll have to excuse me because I'm not familiar with how some interface elements are called in English (I use it in Portuguese). I'll try posting a screenshot of it later in order to clarify things.

Leopessoa_arq
Contributor

@Ric_Weber Here it is. In Portuguese, Revit calls it "Navegador de projeto" which might be translated to "Project navigator" (or "Project browser", now I think). And below this is how I organised sheets ("Folhas") by introducing on sheets a shared parameter of type text called "Caderno" (it translates to "notebook" but it is just an identifier for a set of sheets) and then I configured the navigator (or browser) to group sheets by it. Others might group them differently, this is just how I do it. As I suggested initially, each of these "Caderno"s would have their own index set (each starting at one) and their own count of sheets.

Leopessoa_arq_1-1722470100778.png

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@Leopessoa_arq, I like that! 

The reason I was suggesting by sheet list as opposed to just by the Navigator list is that I can't sort by as much as I'd like in the Navigator.  I can refine the order of my list more precisely in a Sheet List than I can in the Browser (I like Navigator better).   

Speaking of browser organization, you might want to vote for these two ideas as well: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/improved-sheet-sorting/idi-p/6384211 and https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/additional-sort-by-fields-in-browser-organization-scheme/...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report