Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Leader Snap

Text Leader Snap

The new text editor for 2017 is a huge relief!  But I would still like to be able snap the leader to an object and for the ability to lock it to that snap or object.

18 Comments
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

LyleHardin
Advisor

I agree. Having a leader associated to an object (as AutoCAD does) would be a great benefit.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We've completed our review of this idea. After investigating the effort required to implement this request, we unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities. However, we think this is a great idea so we will reconsider it as we made adjustments to our roadmap in the future. Thanks for the submission and keep voting!

The Factory

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be very helpful if there was an option to Snap a text box's leader.

For example when you place a text box on a plan view and you want its leader to be pointing to a specific point. It would be very helpful if you could drag the leader and place it on that specific point by snapping it. 

(Autodesk CAD software's leader has this option.)

Yien_Chao
Advisor
For some annotation, i added invisible lines to be able to align and snap.

But i vote for your idea
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for voting. 

I know we can do it the way you said, but imagine producing 100 pages of drawings, it will be very time consuming. and also the whole point of Revit is to have a smart software 

dzanta
Advisor

I would like Revit to do the following:

When you use the Text command with a leader, I want the leader to be able to snap to the model objects (endpoint, midpoint, etc.).  This ensures you are pointing to the object correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing. Such a basic feature of AutoCAD for over 20 years. And it can't be incorporated into Revit? Really?

mmermel
Advocate

Finally converting all my CAD details to Revit (Baseline is 2017). OUCH. Never realized how important that capability is.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

To reorganize and consolidate our Revit Ideas for ease of use to both our customers and our product teams, we are no longer using the "Future Consideration" status for Revit Ideas. All Revit Ideas are always under review, and consolidating posts (and Kudos!) will give weight to topics previously spread across many posts. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

Thank you for your contribution!

-The Factory

Also, if the leaders could snap to a specified angle like the quick leader command in Autocad. 

jclarkHMM3Y
Explorer

A leader as an object really only has one purpose, to point at things...it blows my mind that this program has made it this far without the functionality to snap the business end of a leader to an object. AutoCAD has been able to do that since snaps were implemented...

kysely
Explorer

Any news regarding this issue? It would be a huge step towards precise and 'autocad' looking drawings...

wr.marshall
Advisor
joshpAZD9W
Contributor

Count me in too. Still can't quite believe we have to even be talking about this (particularly given how expensive this software is).

Also while we're at it how about spline leaders? The arc leaders are IMHO ugly as sin and lack the necessary control for my work

carldupreez
Participant

Please Autodesk. We are paying a lot for this software. This is critical. You already have a leader that snaps to objects with the tagging function, just use the same logic to snap a leader point to an object. It should be simple from a programming perspective. It should take an intern 30 minutes to figure out?

evandobson
Observer

Yes please! The various smart tags that have been implemented are great, but please make the dumb leader just a bit smarter. A snap parameter (that can be activated when needed) is critical to making accurate and professional and drawings. For how precise and data-driven Revit aims to be, it's unbelievable that Revit users have to just wing it when pointing at something. I waste an incredible amount of time nudging the tips of arrows just so... because good drawings make a difference. Even if the information is all there, a sloppy presentation might send the message that the execution can be a bit sloppy too.  I echo all the sentiments others have shared above and will toss in... it's been more than 6 years since this thread was started. What's up? 

lily.GACE
Explorer

similar to autocad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report