Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free rotation of tag

Free rotation of tag

Good evening 

It would be great if column tag could be rotate free by the user, (not just hor. or vert.).

Now i have to make a new family and set the angle in it.

42 Comments
bosborne
Advocate

Allow Tag Rotation - Keep default behavior as-is, but allow for post-creation rotation (using the rotate tool) of all tags on an as-needed basis (so "Align with Element" only governs until "overidden" by the Rotate command)

lionel.kai
Advisor

Or just fix the Foundation Tag behavior. I had to create a Foundation Tag family with Labels in 5 degree increments controlled by visibility parameters (for use with Wall Footings), but I don't recall having to rotate other tags (such as for Framing).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lionel.kai Some tags rotate with their objects, others don't, even if you tick the box, "rotate with object"  Ideally it would be consistent across all tag categories AND have some rotation grip for instances where you DON'T want it aligned to objects.  TBH the whole Horizontal/Vertical switch is pretty bad too.  

bosborne
Advocate

Tom/Lionel-

I agree with what both of you say (especially on the Foundation Tags).  What i am asking for is the ability to rotate tags using the Modify/Rotate command (essentially overriding the "Align with Element" part - which would become a default on creation but not necessarily a Locked position). 

This is compounded occasionally by the need to have tags read slightly "upside-down" - which is impossible to do in Revit.  I run into this often when dealing with framing tags that i want to all read the same "direction" from one end of the building to the other.  A tag looks fine when it is anywhere from 0-90 degrees, but the second the element is rotated past 90 degrees, the tag flips around.

Tag Rotation.PNG

casquatch
Collaborator

I think it would be a nice addition to be able to use the "Rotate with component" option and tie it to a parameter. Instance would be best, but Type would even work. Either would be better than what we currently have to work with.

I just created an idea for that option. If this link doesn't work, just look for one named "Allow tags rotate with component as an instance". (For some reason my links never work when I copy/paste them from the Idea page).

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-tag-s-quot-rotate-with-component-quot-as-an-instanc...

Kimtaurus
Advisor

When tags have the "Rotate with Component" option, the placed tag should actually rotate with the component.

Currently tags for Furniture, Furniture Systems, Casework, Generic Models, Structural Columns, Detail Components, Curtain Panels, and Specialty Equipment have this option, but it isn't working. The tags remains horizontal or vertical.

Example below: tags for wall and door are aligned to the element.

The tag for the elevator (Specialty Equipment) remains horizontal.

Lift.JPG

EdwinG
Collaborator

Hi

I already asked for this (rotate column tag) too see

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/free-rotation-of-tag/idi-p/7158543

But it would be great if every tag could be rotated

greets

lionel.kai
Advisor
casquatch
Collaborator

I already voted for this long ago because we had this issue with a tag, I just ran into it again. Can I vote each time this affects our users?!!?!?!? Smiley Very Happy

bjoern_teutriene
Collaborator

This improvement would be very important for German Revit users. Maybe the rotation could also be set by setting an instance parameter.

In the Revit Wishlist 2017 in Germany it ranked #11 out of 52 wishes. You can find more information on https://www.rug-dach.de/

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be great to rotate tags with all categories as same as generic annotations. According to our standards, tex tags should be parallel to the element

NateBrush
Advocate

This would make life so much easier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @NateBrush for your comment. Absolutely! Smiley Happy

abigail.olivieri
Advocate

@Anonymous,

It would be nice all annotation updated (column grids, elevation tags, text, etc.) when views are rotated. Would cut out the  clean up process in the views and sheets.

casquatch
Collaborator

I've run into yet another instance where this would be useful. Why oh why do we even get the option for "Rotate with component" when it doesn't work?

This shouldn't be an "Idea", it should be a bug.

lmpka
Advocate

We have the problem with wall foundations where the walls are at odd angles.  The wall footing tags don't rotate with the wall footings, and are useless in a lot of projects.  We also have a door type with embedded lintels/headers as shared structural framing members.  The structural framing tags won't align with those either.

bnydam
Contributor

This needs to be fixed!  My prints are getting ugly without tags that can be aligned to their elements.  I am working  on tagging lights at the moment, but I have run into this issue many other times as well.

bimovation
Contributor

Agreed, this is a defect not an idea.  The idea is already there and half implemented.  

pieter5
Advisor

We ran into this as well. In this example, some information is called out with a tag and other is embedded in the symbols. Because 'rotate with component' doesn't work properly, our drawings get harder to read. 

piotr.spyra
Contributor

Hi,

totally agree with this idea. Situation, when we need to rotate structural tag repeats almost every project. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report