Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Detailing - Steel connections

Structure Detailing - Steel connections

Expand Steel Connections extension for Revit, and make its integration with Advance Steel flawless. I would like to see all connection macro in Advance Steel come to Revit Steel Connections. Parametric reinforcement components, are welcome, not old, Structural Detailing extensions. 

16 Comments
pawelpiechnik
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

nisunze
Contributor

Oh my God!

I am extremely happy to see that I am idea is accepted. I am speechless. This will make Revit very powerful. And the way you approached Steel Detailing Extension using background process is very very very innovative, and thinking about putting more processes in the background would make Revit more friendly. 

I use Tekla Structures(Student version) to research, and Advance Steel to research... the best structural detailing BIM software: Tekla is not user friendly at all, as Revit is. Advance Steel crashes crashes crashes whenever I run most of its commands. I tried it on several PCs and different operating systems just to give an Autodesk product a change but it always fails me. Tekla on the other side, is weak when it comes to curved elements and interface in general, and it takes a lot of time to master. 

The way Revit approached Steel Connections is very cool, but of course it needs improvement, like grouping similar connections and providing concise calculation notes which are easy to check. And by migrating all connection and other Advance Steel commands to Revit, we will be one step from producing shop/fabrication drawings directly from Revit. This will benefit clients and Autodesk, which will have to maintain only one software: Revit and not Revit and Advance Steel, which should be discontinued after this process, and the sooner the better. No one will ever think of an alternative BIM solution. In all this process, I would like us to think about React Structures too, and Dynamo. 

Thanks for accepting my previous idea.

Yours,

nisunze
Contributor

I think the road map has answered 95% of all my worries, and the map for structure and architecture is exactly what I have been asking.

AKingslayer
Advocate

Please add the streel connection modeling and engineering check to the OOTB install of REVIT and do not require a subscription and add-in loading of it.  Make this part of the standard Structure Tab.  

Also, please expand the capability as much and as quickly as possible, the first version is missing a lot of commonly used connections.

Tags (2)
AKingslayer
Advocate

Can you elaborate on the extent to which steel connections are planned to be improved?  Full integration of steel connection design in REVIT would be a major leap forward in solidfying REVIT's place in structural steel modeling and documentation.

haedicu
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

haedicu
Alumni

I've merged these two ideas, as both have the same goal.

roikela
Advocate
Copy connection with its parameters to new join

Save connection parameter for later use

Taging elements in the connection
Tags (1)
haedicu
Alumni

Great idea @Anonymous! We will have these on our road map for future implementation. No ETA yet on when it might be coming but we will be sure to keep everyone posted.

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

This idea duplicate other ideas which was posted before it and already accepted.

cuen.saul
Advocate

Wishlist for Revit Steel Connections.

1. Connections for custom sections and not "Certified Families" based.
  2. Ability to annotate the connection parts.
  3. Increase connection types.
  4. If possible, ability to create, program or dynamite custom connection types.
  5. Connections behavior as Type/Instance like everything else in Revit. Duplicate, Match Properties, Select All and other commands would be very useful.
  6. For Basic design purpose it's a good practice to schedule connections data so, to be able to schedule a connection type, host type, quantity of bolts, thickness of plates, etc.
  7. Also, quantification and steel take off of connection.
  8. Many families does not work with nested families. If connection could work with nested families would be very useful (I have custom truss families for example).
Tags (1)
ronsarlo
Enthusiast

Seconded!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

In an effort to consolidate threads, we are updating this thread to Gathering Support. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

We are in the process of improving and consolidating the Revit Ideas. This is by no means a downgrade...simply part of our cleanup efforts. Rest assured that your Idea and feedback is valuable to our teams, and that your Idea will continue to be reviewed. 

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented with continuing future functionality and improvements.

MOR-ConorMacken
Enthusiast

Implemented?

I just had to try exporting a single beam and column to Advance Steel as Revit hasn't heard of bolts bigger than M30 and Revit 2023 crashed.

Implemented, this is not.

Lorenzo.Taccini.STA
Enthusiast

Allow more strucural section shapes for custom section bars (Omega...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report