Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Beam Systems - Custom Justification

Structural Beam Systems - Custom Justification

It would be nice to able to pick an alignment point for a given beam inside the beam system, and use the spacing settings to space off that point.

For example - I know I have a beam system with beams spaced a 18" o.c. I also know that beam #3 aligns with a wall in the space. It would be nice to set that alignment and have the beam system build itself with that as the "origin," rather than having to adjust the boundaries of my system until I get the alignment I'm looking for.

This ability already exists with things like hatches/fill patterns, so, for example, I can adjust my reveal pattern to line up with the bottom edge of a window by using the Align tool.

6 Comments
SeanSpence
Advocate

Have you tried modeling that alignment beam first and then adding the beam systems either side? I think it will get you the result you're looking for.

lionel.kai
Advisor

This has been possible to do for as long as I can remember: draw the Beam Direction where you want the beams to start, then change Justification to "Direction Line".

I have intimate knowledge of this because it's the only way to "minimize" the number of beams, see add a "Centered Space" Justification option for Beam Systems and add a "Fixed Distance (Minimize Number of Joists)" Layout Rule for Beam Systems.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Just discovered those posts were archived in the latest purge, so reposted them:

Beam System: "Minimize Number" Layout Rule

and the workaround idea: Beam System: "Centered Space" Justification option

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

As Lionel mentions above this is already possible to do by putting the location line at the position you would like to define as the origin. You can even constrain the line to something else in the project if desired. This functionality was intentionally written to support this workflow. For that reason I am marking this request as Implemented (some 10 years back).

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report