Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop asking to attach walls

Stop asking to attach walls

There are times when wall do need to attach, but (at least the way we use Revit) walls are attached on a case by case basis.  It is annoying to deal with the popup every time a floor is edited.  There should be an option to never attach, and never ask (ideally in options and on the popup) to address the question "Would you like walls that go up to this floor's level to attach to its bottom?"

39 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't the solution you are looking for, however dwp|suters have benefited greatly from the use of the Cadgroup Revit.XT addin, which includes a setting to stop that annoying pop-up window! Interesting that a third party can add a whole lot more functionality to Revit!

lionel.kai
Advisor

A similar "default to NO" option for "The floor/roof overlaps the highlighted wall(s). Would you like to join geometry and cut the overlapping volume out of the wall(s)?" would be helpful as well. or even "Would you like to rename corresponding views?" and "Would you like to rename corresponding level and views?"

I remember coming across somebody's tutorial on how to do that with a script, and thinking that would be good to look into, but I don't know where that link is now. There's some stuff here:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#5.32

and I think using AutoHotkey is also a possibility. (though I'd prefer something internal to Revit w/ a preference interface to control each one)

Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be a setting you can turn off and on.  I Never allow walls to automatically join to floors, and have to check no every time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Autodesk accepted the idea of do not ask to "rename corresponding level and views" so they should accept this one too.

My question is what happens in the rare event that you DO want to perform that action? Id suggest implementing this as a third option: "Never Ask Me Again" that can then be reset in a preferences menu.

jkidder
Collaborator

@Anonymous My suggestion was never that walls shouldn't be allowed to attach, just that Revit should give you the option to not be asked if you want them to attach.  The only two states I was looking for was "Ask with every edit" and "Don't ask when there is an edit" 

I'd prefer to see a checkbox beside the yes/no options that said "Never ask to attach", in addition to a setting in the options dialog.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jkidder  I think we are on the exact same page, my comment may have read differently than intended, but the only new idea I was promoting was the "can then be reset in a preferences menu" part.

What I think both of us are after is that there is a way to attach all walls to the floor, (or in the case of renaming views to do that) even after you ask it to never ask again. The important thing is that "never" can be reset.

The problem with the above mentioned scripts is that occasionally it has to be disabled in order to perform the desired action, then re-enabled to hide the dialogs. By building it into Revit, the very next floor edit you make will reintroduce you to the option of turning off the dialog indefinitely.

jkidder
Collaborator

@Anonymous No, I don't want "Always Attach" or "Always Rename" to be an option, because I think it is very unlikley you would want either.  I only want a choice about Revit asking me to Rename/attach those things every time I make an edit or to never ask and never change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jkidderabsolutely agree. Again, you may have misread or misinterpreted my above comment but I did not suggest those things.

Mirko.Jurcevic
Collaborator

I totally agree with the Idea.

Everyone hate that message.

I already posted my comment about this in the comments section of the Idea about "Rename Level message", but after I ran into this idea.  🙂

jcunillp
Participant

Every time you edit a floor's boundary you get the message "Would you like walls that go up to this floor's level to attach to its bottom?", but that option is only useful for small projects or schematic stages.  It would be great to add a tick box for not to show that message again, just like raster printing

jkidder
Collaborator

I agree, and created this idea Stop asking to attach walls awhile ago.

kgatzke
Collaborator

image.png

I don't ever want that, and I wish you would stop asking me!

A check box to eliminate this message would be wonderful.  Thank you.

pieter4
Advisor

There's already a popular idea on this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/stop-asking-to-attach-walls/idi-p/6411910 

Also, it might be interesting to browse through the first few pages of the top voted ideas. There's a lot of interesting stuff on there.

kgatzke
Collaborator

@pieter4

thank you

jan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please oh please make that window go away...

RogerRebbit
Enthusiast

This toolkit has a setting to disable that message.

does anybody know if it works?

https://www.kobilabs.com/toolkitforrevit

lionel.kai
Advisor

@RogerRebbit I don't see anything on their site that indicates that. Where are you seeing it?

RogerRebbit
Enthusiast
Yes, it works. Install the trial version and you'll find it in the settings dialogue. It's easy to check

RogerRebbit
Enthusiast
Yes, it works. Install the trial version and you'll find it in the settings dialogue. It's easy to check

hstaabprime
Advocate

Good golly Miss Molly this is an incredible idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report