Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

split schedules across multiple sheets

split schedules across multiple sheets

there needs to be a better way to split schedules across multiple sheets, the current method of duplicating schedules and using two filters to reduced the scheduled elements is poor. There must be a better way... even if we had to duplicate sheets, at least let us tell the schedule what row number to start from and end with i.e. sheet one - 1 to 30, sheet two - 31 to 60... etc.

45 Comments

In DTP it's very common to have "Linked Columns" where one column flows onto another page (and not just the next page). The workaround of using Filters can be very tedious and shows a lack on concern to this missing "feature".

dazza1639
Advocate

Great Idea. We currently create a master schedule for say Roof Panels, this is typically to long to fit on 1 A4 schedule sheet, so we creat lots of copies of this schedule, these copies are further filteres to things like roof slope location, Slope 1, Slope 2 etc and then by delievery phase as a 100,000m² roof will typically be installed in 4 or 5 phases based on gridlines ie, gridline 1 to 8 then 8 to 16 and so on.

Allowing the Master schedule to be sorted and grouped by these fields and have the ability to place this on a schedule sheet and it creat more sheets as necassary to fit the entire scheule on would be a great time saver. they could all have the same schedule sheet reference appended with 1 of X,  for example SCH-025 sheet 1 of 5, SCH-025 sheet 2 of 5.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor
I think there's another Idea somewhere suggesting Dependent Views for Schedules. That, combined with your "Starting Row" and (I would suggest) "Number of Rows" would allow you to put each portion of the Schedule on separate pages.
jkidder
Collaborator

I see it requiring less manual manipulation - right click a schedule to split and it creates dependent schedules (same as views, if changes are made in one they are made in all) Once placed on a sheet they use a mechanism similar to splitting a schedule on a sheet to adjust what you see where.

qianr
Enthusiast

Schedules can be very long in large projects, sometimes they can’t be fit into one sheet even we break them into multi-columns. So what’s the best way to allow “sections” of schedules? At the moment, we create filters to break a long schedule into a few sub schedules.

Tags (1)
spitfire-s
Enthusiast

Hi Chris

Yes, There is a better way. If you are interested in printing, or making PDF documents with long schedules directly from Revit, you can use Archigrafix Reports. The tool allows plenty of layout customization (titleblock with project data, logo, page number, document location, font sizes, page sizes and orientation, manipulation of data, etc). It's possible to also export to Word document for further adjustments. Or send long schedules to print with 1 click. I like that all settings are automatically saved, so that you can quickly regenerate documents with always updated information. We use this tool to generate all sorts of lists, most frequently drawing lists for every drawing issue and get it done in 5 seconds. Of course it's always possible to export schedules to excel, and work from there, but that takes much longer. There is a fully working free trial download on the website.

dialog_preview_create_1[1].png

lukas_v
Contributor

Yes, for large schedules, the problem is put in more formats A3 or A4. We have to use different filters, it can happen here error (forgotten element in the schedules)..

Screenshot 2017-01-13 17.19.10.png

Mirko.Jurcevic
Collaborator
pieter5
Advisor
chris_mckeown
Enthusiast

Hi mirko, tested the method, and it fails.

chris_mckeown
Enthusiast

Hi spitfire-s, we use BIM Link and pivot tables to do something similar, but with more flexibility, there doesn't look to be any report writer options within this tool to customize the layout.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@chris_mckeown What exactly doesn't work for you? His instructions are a little lacking (chunks seem to be missing), but discovering/remembering? that Schedules can go on more than one Sheet is pretty awesome! ...and since Schedules only have one Sheet representation/rendering, any changes (such as changing where it wraps) are reflected on all Sheets. Now if only we had more formatting control...

chris_mckeown
Enthusiast

I am guessing you have tried and have it working? Maybe I am missing something small. 

When you have a split schedule, say into 3 as per the example, and on the first sheet the left most schedule is on the sheet and the other schedules are to the right it works, on the second sheet when you place the middle schedule on the sheet the left most schedule becomes 0,0, meaning when you choose Offset from corner, user defined, and enter 0 and 0, you get the first schedule as the print, not the sheet and second schedule, Revit 2017.2.2 recognizes the left most thing on the screen as the 0,0. As an aside Revit sheets have a 0,0 just like in the modeling environment.

chris_mckeown
Enthusiast

2018 behaves the same, all using the same code.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@chris_mckeown Man, that's disappointing - I forgot about the offset (didn't even think to press print). I was so excited that Schedules could go on more than one sheet... LOL

I suppose (if you really wanted to), you could just make the border larger (an extra line all the way around) - 150"x210" for a 30"x42" sheet, for example, if you have a Schedule split onto 3 Sheets (and use the "Center" option). But then you'd have to deal with the zoom-to-fit not being very useful...

If there was a way to specify a "Window" like in AutoCAD... or go by the Titleblock family... or coordinates instead of extents... (BTW, you may have noticed that the 0,0 in most of the OOTB Titleblock families is NOT exactly at the bottom-left corner of the border lines).

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

The behavior should be similar to how we split a schedule on a single sheet right now, but allow you to copy paste the split parts onto other sheets. You would then add a few parameters to the split schedule parts: Sheet location of previous part of the schedule, Sheet location of post part of the schedule, Sheets hosting parts of this schedule.

---

Why do we even want to do this? Sometimes there are no numbers to schedules with, nor should there be.

ulla.seppa
Explorer

@chris_mckeownThank you, I have been missing this so much.
I wish I could upvote this idea multiple times.

Nothing is more annoying than having to re-edit the filters for a whole 10-page schedule just because you added some entities/info/characters that made the schedule too big on page two...

Also, I have been in situations where I cannot add enough filters to make it just right from page to page!

adamschaffer
Contributor

Nice vid on how to split schedules across multiple pages using filters. Simple! 

http://blogs.rand.com/architectural/2011/04/splitting-a-schedule-across-sheets-in-revit.html

One could filter by levels too as opposed to by mark (which was what I needed).

Good luck!

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor
Please see the description of the problem. your video is showing the problematic way of doing this. "the current method of duplicating schedules and using two filters to reduced the scheduled elements is poor."
Filters like this suck because they have to be constantly reset as more
rows are added. There are much better ways to do this, such as how linked
columns are done in DTP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report