Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Organization....Model Groups & Assemblies

Browser Organization....Model Groups & Assemblies

Need to Add Model Groups and Assemblies to the Browser Organizations too.........

I use these both EXTENSIVELY for Electrical Modeling, and the Lists and get quite unwieldy sometimes...would be nice to break those up into small "groupings".

Mike Maloney

10 Comments
ac_bryant
Contributor

Allow assemblies to be sorted & grouped in the browser. 

When you have hundreds of assemblies it's hard to scroll through all of them to find the one you need. 

Tags (2)
ivan_guerra
Advocate

have a assembly browser just like we have for sheets and project browser. For precast workflows, for example, we have more than 80 Assemblies types.

J.Wehmer
Collaborator

The ability to sort groups by the same type of criteria as we can sort/organize Views, Schedules and sheets.

We do a lot of kitchens, and it would be helpful if the Groups part of the project browser could organize our groups so that 50+ groups do not show up when we drop it down. It would be nice to see a broken-out tree, based on parameters we could define. Most of the parameters for the groups sorting, would not be 'smart' parameters, they would just simply be for the organization of the Group data. It gets overwhelming, when the group menu is dropped open, and the list just flows off the screen.

the example below is a quick fire-off of a few parameters that could be applied to organize 50+ (or more depending on the firm) groups. This hopefully would be a simply add to the Revit platform. Being as Views, Schedules and Sheets already contain this structure.

group sorting.png

Tags (6)
ipselute
Advisor

I don't think you could possible organize everything in the Project Browser panel. It's simply too small for the eye to fully comprehend the entire structure of a big project comprising of many architectural and engineering specialties. Maybe this panel should expand into a big independent window that can be moved/resized at will (maybe to a second screen) for convenience.

I've seen something like this Project Browser window in Allplan. It even comes with a very big structure of layers already grouped very neatly by technical specialties. Of course Revit doesn't come with layers, but you get my idea.

J.Wehmer
Collaborator

@ipselute :

"I don't think you could possible organize everything in the Project Browser panel."

-I disagree with this. Revit is are able to organize an entire list of views, sometimes going up to 150+ views in a larger project, and an equal number of sheets to match them. If we are able to organize those, why can we not organize our groups (which usually have significantly less items than the views)? Usually the groups are deleted out of the Project Browser after the DD/65% phase, because they are not needed anymore. We just need something that will "tame" the group list.

"It's simply too small for the eye to fully comprehend the entire structure of a big project comprising of many architectural and engineering specialties"

-This is why we could sort by Discipline/Sub-Discipline or whatever your flavor is, to 'break-down' the large project into easily digestible bites. For the views, the sorting function keeps the Architectural-style views hidden for anyone who does not want to see them. The same filters could be applied here.

"Maybe this panel should expand into a big independent window that can be moved/resized at will (maybe to a second screen) for convenience."

-Yes! I like your thinking, getting out of the 'Project Browser' box! The only downside I see with that, is if Revit does that for groups (a rather small feature of Revit), people will want that option for the larger features (Views, Schedules, Sheets.. and possibly more that is not even on the project browser). And then there will be 15 windows floating around on a second screen.

ipselute
Advisor

@J.WehmerI was talking only from a "visual" point of view. I know it is technically possible to achieve what you want. But for me personally it is painful for the eyes to do it.

As for 15 windows floating around, i would definitively NOT want that. It would be just like Tekla = lost in a cluster of overlapping windows. One big window with several tabs should suffice. Just like the Schedules window having multiple tabs, very intuitive , using tabs options from left to right : Families tab, Groups tab, Views tab, Schedules tab, Sheets tab, etc.

J.Wehmer
Collaborator

No no, I get what you are saying. I know it is technically possible because the framework already exists. I agree that it could get out of hand quickly, doing sorting and expanding to every Revit feature, and a lot of people might not like that.

I have seen drafters that will have an entire second screen cluttered with the Properties Bar, Project Browser and System Browser Smiley Mad wayy too much going on..

patryk.kosmala
Observer

It functionality could be grouping groups and modules in main model same like views, schedules, sheets. Very often in main model there are lots of model groups and modules. It will be very useful functionality, when I could group them like others. My model is divided for many parts, and i would like to assignee specify groups/module for this parts.

Tags (3)
hmedcalfL23J7
Contributor

It would be nice to be able to categorize groups, almost like placing similar groups in the same folder. For example, I might have detail groups created that I use for my elevation views. Usually groups are just alphabetized so if I have a bunch of detail groups loaded into my project I have to scroll through all of them until I find the one's I want to grab. To make this quicker it would be nice to be able to put all of my elevation annotations under the same elevation group and all of my floorplan annotations under the same group, and etc. This way I'm only seeing the annotations I want to see for the specific view I'm in.

Tags (2)
erin.card
Advocate

Oh I need this option so badly.  We have a lot of groups for options (tiny homes) and I'd really want to sort it into bathrooms, base cabinets, upper cabs, etc.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report