Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Wall Location Line

Show Wall Location Line

Hi,

would it be possible to add an option to show Wall Location Line to Visibility/Graphic Overrides as on the picture? Location line turned ON.Location line turned ON.

6 Comments
erik_snell
Autodesk

Could you provide the reason such a feature would be desired? This could help other understand the problem your trying to solve with the idea, which in turn could lead to more votes.

Thanks

peterchrien
Enthusiast

Hi Erik,

I have been working on a project of a swimming pool centre with almost all walls curved. At the moment we are still in design process in Pre-application stage. Updates still keep coming from the client. We work with generic walls - grey in cut as we still don't know final construction of the walls - what layers and how thick they will be. We have been using generic thicknesses of the walls like 140mm or 200mm. My team leader asked me to update most of them to 200mm and update layout to meet building regulations with thicker walls. In the future when we will move to For Construction stage and we will know construction details of the walls, it is better to reduce them and still meet meet building regs rather than making them thicker and have issues to meet building regs. I wanted to use Match Type Properties command to make it quickly, however walls had different Location Line settings and they were extending way I didn't want to. If I would see Location Line of all walls, it would help me to speed up my work with walls and applying new properties.

Apply changes to Location Line using Match Type Properties would be an option too.

opesch_
Advocate

Hi Erik,

Visual identification of wall location lines and interior/exterior edges is something that has been waited from a looooong long time !

Why is it needed for you asked ?

For QA/QC checks of model consistency off course ! BIM is all about data accuracy throughout exchanges of a same model between parties and ability to foresee the consequences of unforeseen changes !

Ok, but what's the problem with the actual behavior you'll ask ?

When you're changing the thickness of a concrete wall around egress path, a stair or lift shaft for example you never want to have the walls be widen toward the center of the room and create either a egress regulation issue or a clash with the Lift moving parts ! The same apply if you've got technical rooms with specific internal dimensions requirements or external walls that have to stay into the property boundary, ...

Of course we could expect that the modeler always chose the expected alignment and drew everything clockwise with interior of walls facing the interior of rooms... but what if he didn't ? Which side of a wall has to be "interior" when there are 2 rooms with a same functional requirement ?

The problem is that now we cannot control or get an idea of the consequence of a wall thickness change without having to do it by selecting the walls one by one and tryout !!! That's a tedious and such unproductive workflow which could be really easily avoided because the information is already there in the wall... it's just invisible !!

The same problem occurs if we have to add a finish layer to already modeled concrete walls. Because they have just one structural layer of one material, it's impossible to know in advance which side will receive the finish, and which walls will have to be switched. (I already used the trick to add a 5mm red concrete layer on the interior of my concrete walls and remove those 5mm on the structural layer but then my wall properties/quantities are wrong ! Placing a membrane layer on the outer faces of a wall being forbidden by Revit, I had no other choice... 😞 )

You (Autodesk) just have to add 3 new subcategories to the wall categories.

Just as we now have a "Common Edges" subcategory, we should also have the "Interior Edges" and "Exterior Edges" subcategories to be able to give specific colors (e.g. in coarse views) to those faces whatever the layer function they have.

AND we should also have a "Location Lines" subcategory just as it already exist for beams.

BTW, if you are in changing that for wall components, it would also be good to

_ add the possibility to place a membrane layer on the outer sides of walls (like bituminous paintings or dustproof/primer paintings which should not get a thickness value but should be visible in 3D) AND give the ability to override this membrane layer Line style through the "VV -> Override Host Layers -> Host Layer Line Styles" dialog !

_let us control the visibility of each layer by putting those as subcategories or by placing a "visible" checkbox in the "VV -> Override Host Layers -> Host Layer Line Styles dialog" ! --> this is really needed for coordination of Concrete Structure models with Architecture models containing multilayered walls !

ellison
Enthusiast

I like this feature suggestion.  Wall location lines determine the behavior of a wall when it's type or thickness is changed and, for interior partitions, generally represent the side of the partition to which dimensions reference.  If wall location lines are set haphazardly or inconsistently, it makes it impossible to predict how plan geometry will be affected by changes in wall type or thickness.

The ability to visualize wall locations lines (ideally by a parameter-based filter, IMO) would help in checking this aspect of model data.

This feature exists, by the way, in AutoCAD Architecture.

kevin_s
Enthusiast

Not only would the help BIM managers observe wall connection behavior based on location line positioning, it can also provide a graphic representation should we want to display a "priority" side of a wall type.  For example, a lot of our projects involve demising walls with resilient clips on one side, and we could utilize the wall location line graphic to demonstrate in plan view which side we would prefer to have the resilient clip constructed.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

You would also gain another way to depict things like a wall's fire rating that would be more subtle than filtering them and giving their whole geometry a solid fill.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report