Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Text by Revision Number

Show Text by Revision Number

One idea I would like to see for a future Revit release, would be a feature in the Revisions option, that allows certain text to be tagged to a Revision number.

Currently, each revision has the option "Show", where you can select "None", "Tag", or "Cloud and Tag".

When I have a revision that removes a tag from my schedule, I end up creating a text showing which ones have been removed, and cloud the text.  It is just regular text, which means that during a future revision, the cloud may be gone, but the text will remain and could potentially go out again on a future change if not caught.

Please make it so certain text can be tagged to a revision number.  That way when the revision is eventually changed to show "none", the text will also disappear, but will be available if anyone needs to go back and see what was taken off.

Thank you.  Images are attached for further clarity.

Revisions.png

Keynote 10.04 removed.png

7 Comments
CFNBen
Advocate

We have tags that are associated to revision clouds. When that revision is changed from 'Cloud and Tag' to 'None,' the tag disappears. Would this work for you?

cory.simons
Enthusiast

@CFNBen At this time Revit does not have a way to associate tags to a revision text.  That feature to show/hide revision clouds and tags do not work for revision text.  If there is, please let me know.

I would love to have a feature that does this in a future update.

cory.simons
Enthusiast

@CFNBen At this time Revit does not have a way to associate tags to a revision text.  That feature to show/hide revision clouds and tags do not work for revision text.  If there is, please let me know.

I would love to have a feature that does this in a future update.

-CS

CFNBen
Advocate

@cory.simons 

I think you might be mistaken. See below image of Revision clouds with associated tags calling out the Comments parameter of the Revision cloud. In testing, when I set the revision to 'None' from 'Cloud and Tag,' the tags disappear along with their respective clouds as you would expect, which I believe is what you are looking for. 

benmcqueen_1-1601654098517.png

Editing for spelling/grammar/wording refinement

cory.simons
Enthusiast

@CFNBen 

1.  Does the text have to be in the "Comments" parameter?

2.  Does the text have to be made as a tag?

In my example, "Keynotes:  Removed keynote 10.04" is what I would need to be associated with the revision somehow.  That way it will show on the current revision, but not in a future one, like the Revision tags.  If this is something that can be done, can you please show me how to do this?  If I have to make it a "tag" each time, I would prefer if Revit has an option to apply the same function to revision text.  Your thoughts?

Thank you,

-CS

CFNBen
Advocate

Are you aware of how tags work? You would need to place a tag for every note you'd like to see, just like you'd need to place a Text element. The difference is that the text "Keynotes:  Removed keynote 10.04" would be in the 'Comments' parameter of the specific revision cloud. You can copy revision clouds and respective tags whilst retaining the comments value so you wouldn't need to go into every view, you could just "Paste Aligned to Selected Views."

I would ask if 'Revision Text' is an actual element within Revit as I am not aware of it currently. If you are merely referring to a Type within the Text element then I believe my advice is sound and can be used to replace your method and solves your problem. 

To be clear, when the specific revision is on 'Cloud and Tag,' both the Cloud and it's respective Tag are shown. When the revision is set to 'None,' neither the Cloud, nor Tag are shown.

cory.simons
Enthusiast

I am not aware, no.  Would you please show me step-by-step how to do this please?

-CS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report