Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select / Autocomplete Parameters in Formula

Select / Autocomplete Parameters in Formula

In the Family Editor, when creating a Formula with e.g. long Parameter Names, it could be useful to select available parameter instead of manual typing (minding the case sensitivity). You cannot leave the formula field just to copy/paste the name.

Use a similar approach as Calculated Value in Schedules: a small button to select parameters.

4 Comments
Hugh_Compton
Advisor
When typing a formula that uses another parameter value allow Revit to offer a suggested aytocomplete the finish typing the parameter name.
Tags (1)
troels.olsen
Enthusiast

When we build formulas in Revit, we need to reference either parameters in the family or functions precisely. Referencing parameters is a matter of writting correctly or else there is an arrubt error. The same goes for functions, but here it is (for me...) often hard to remember the (severely limited amount of) allowed functions and I have to find the wiki page and/or try to recal/understand the functions meaning.

When we build formulas in Excel and Apple Numbers, there is active aid, where allowed functions appear. This is really helpfull! Especially is Excel tables great, as the aid for reference here, is not only the function, but also the columns in the table. Numbers is great when it come to active pop-ups, where the functions are clearly explained with examples for each one and there is a large large catalog with categorisation making it even easier to find what types of functions are possible in the software.

What I would like to submit, is that we get active aid in formulas, so that both usable parameters and functions appear. Both needs to be pickable and funtions should have search and explanations build into them.

jkidder
Collaborator

It would be nice, but for me it falls below them adding more formulas and propagating the parameter picking tool from calculated values in schedules to the family editor.

Joey_JM
Advocate

Countless times have I wished something like this existed especially when working with long formulas. I say this is long overdue. Anything that can help less experienced users get more involved with the creation and editing of families is greatly beneficial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report