Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined Value in Schedule Improvement

Combined Value in Schedule Improvement

A new feature in schedules in 2017 is combined values. This is nice, but needs improvement. Here are some ideas:

1. Please include a TRUE concatenation. Not just in a schedule, but in formulas as well. 

Improvement to combined:

I have a schedule with several check boxes. I wanted to have a combined field that showed when these boxes were checked, check Cold Water, you get: CW, check Hot Water, you get: HW, etc. I can do this with calculated values and a simple formula easily. Trouble is, you cannot include calculated values in a combined parameter. SO CLOSE.

So, either please allow calculated values to be included or 

Allow us to change the default Yes, No that it shows with the values of the Sample Value. 

See attached. Combined Value Fail.png

12 Comments
MattDillon247
Advocate

Well at least you're getting "Yes" instead of "No"... 

Sorry... I couldn't resist...

Paul_F_Aubin
Advocate

You'll get "No" if you uncheck the boxes. 

Kammons
Observer

I am heretofore dubbing this particular problem/undesirable result (in Revit, strictly speaking)... the "Meg Ryan Return". 

troels.olsen
Enthusiast

Why limit it to formulas? We should be able to have concatenation on any parameter, not only formulas in schedules. This should allow us, to have the values export, something I find to be equal to, if not even more important than the scheduling.

As an example, we could have the sheet number automated from parameters with a concentation formula, so there was added security in the vallues added, a size parameter could be set up like (<Height> "x" <Width> "x" <Length> "mm")* and be actively used in both schedules but also tags and the family, the Type Name could build from parameters according to active standards and so on.

*With active aid of allowed reference parameters and/or functions.. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/active-aid-when-building-formulas/idi-p/6504648

jkidder
Collaborator

I agree that calculated parameters need to be able to be included in the combine function.  For example I would like a parameter that shows the rating of a wall in minutes to be evaluated in a calculated text parameter that returns "MIN" if the result is less than 60 and "HR" if it is more than 60, and another one returning the integer to use with the rating (30 or 2 for example)., then have a combine parameter show the information in the schedule as "30 MIN" or "2 HR".

In annotation families a calculated value can be used in a label (which has a very similar interface to the combine parameter).  I would prefer to be able to view a calculated parameter individually because it would make it easier to review results, but doing it only in the combine tool would be a start.

casquatch
Collaborator
tomAtSera
Advocate

Honestly this looks more like a glitch in the implementation.  The preview value shows what you want, but some how the interpretation comes out all wrong.  @Paul_F_Aubin have you tried this in 2018?  Same result?

bimovation
Contributor

Combined parameters are great.  Calculated parameters are also great.  I really want to use calculated parameters in Combined Parameter fields to get the formatting just right.

Example:  (2) 3-0W x 7-0H (Door Size)

We can create the fields by using if statements, but can not format this way unless those if statement values are allowed in a combined parameter field. 

What we are currently stuck with as a best option is "3-0W x 3-0W x 7-0H"  or seperate columns that that are Panel A Width and Panel B Width and Height.

lionel.kai
Advisor

This would also be a good improvement: Sort/Group by a Combined Parameter (R2017+)

Extraneous
Advisor

"Combined parameter" in Revit 2017 is the great improvement. But now you can use only parameters from the elements in the "Combine parameter". Allow me to include "Calculation parameters" in the "Combined parameter"! 

combine poaram1.pngcombine poaram2.png

This is necessary, because in complex tables, most parameters are calculated parameters: length with a coefficient, mass calculated through volume, etc.

Tags (1)
jkidder
Collaborator

The combined parameter tool is great, but needs enhancement.  Using calculated values is very important for any number of uses.  I would also like to have the option to use a combined parameter with only one parameter value, so I could easily add a prefix or suffix to a result for clarity.  For example, I'd like to have each rows occupants (A calculated number value) be suffixed with "Occupants").

If calculated values are added I'll likely still be able to achieve the desired result (by adding a "DUMB BLANK" calculated value with a formula of ="") but it would be nice if if the option to prefix/suffix the value like we can in labels was always an easy option.

adbryson
Advocate

Can we also PLEASE have the ability to SORT/GROUP by these combined parameters????

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report