Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Sort Design Option Sets in Alphabetical Order

Revit - Sort Design Option Sets in Alphabetical Order

Allow Design Option Sets to be sorted in alphabetical order instead of the order in which they are created.  When a project has many design option sets it becomes increasingly difficult to find the one you want even though they may be named in an organized manner.

23 Comments
hpanchal
Contributor

Hi All,

Yes i am somthing looking this option in Revit. So if it would be implimented that will be apperecaited.

hpanchal
Contributor

Hello All,

We have got issue with design option Sets naming sequence in Revit. This is our client most requirement so please review in detail and try to implement this issue with current version or upcoming Revit version. Please see below our query:

I have attached herewith image grab in which I have highlighted with red color rectangle on it. As we have already added first floor design option sets and then we added second floor design option sets over there. Now as per client requirement we have to add ground floor design option sets, as you can see that ground floor design option showing automatically below second floor design option sets. As we would require that ground floor design option sets above the first floor design option sets. So if there is up / down option like we have already in filter commend as you can see I have attached image for your review in design option category that will be a lot helpful to us. I hope you can understand my question.

Therefore if you guys can resolve this issue and try to implement in current Revit version / upcoming version that will be very helpful to future work and we can give better service to our client.

So please do needful action on this issue and get back to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, it would make it a lot easier if we were able to sort options by actual preference rather than the order in which they were created.

Nick.Curtis
Enthusiast
Currently only sort by order of creation.
Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please!  It would be very helpful to keep things organized.  THanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Design Options are great but to a point where the more design options are created, it just keeps adding the latest ones to the bottom of the list, therefore there's no sense of organization. Would be nice to catalogue it in a neat and organized fashion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with all the comments above. 

Dear Autodesk

Can you please design a option to sort by number or alphabetic in design options ? i have seen tickets raising this problem on autodesk.forums since 2012, and it still not implemented in the 2019 verison.

pieter5
Advisor

As other users have remarked, it would be very helpful is both the sets themselves as the options within them would sort Alphabetically. 

Right now, depending on the sequence of creating on the sets/options, we get something like this:

• Option Set Floor 3
    • option 1a
    • option 2
    • option 1b
  • Option Set Floor 1
    • option 2
    • option 1b
  • Option Set Floor 2

If both option sets and options would be sorted alphabetically we would have a far easier to understand list (especially when it's getting really long):

• Option Set Floor 1
    • option1b
    • option 2
  • Option Set Floor 2
  • Option Set Floor 3
    • option 1a
    • option 1b
    • option 2

jesse_bright
Explorer

Does anyone have a workaround?

There needs to be a way to sort or reorganize design options. 

At the present time, Revit version 2018.3, they can only appear in the order in which they were created. 

Please develop the option to rearrange alpha numerically and or manually.

Thanks

Tags (4)
pieter5
Advisor

Sorting alphabetically would be an easy fix and there's already an idea for that: Sort design options . Consider adding your vote.

Also if you use design options a lot you might want to consider voting for this one: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/design-options-and-inserts/idi-p/8082101

Tupaia
Advocate

Hello!

It should be possible to sort the options

- alphabetically

- by time of creation

- freely, by dragging items in the list

No luxury. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

/

pieter5
Advisor

@Tupaia  I disagree. If we ask for too much this feature is less likely to be implemented. We've seen this on previous ideas as well. The smaller the scope the better the chances for implementation.

If they sort alphabetically we can intervene in the sorting by just adjusting the naming standard. If you want them by date you just name them with the date first. If you want them by level you name them by level first. If you a custom order you could prefix them with letters or numbers.

I'm a big fan of keeping ideas simple. Perfection is the enemy of progress.

Tupaia
Advocate

Hi!
Agreed, let's keep it simple. Other things are more important.

However, the same list sorting functionality is built in in other places already, like in the Family Types dialog. You can sort parameters with these icons:

screenshot Family Types dialog icons.jpg

(It's not possible to re-order by dragging/dropping list items, as I thought first. Clicking icons is fair enough.)

jdondondon
Observer

This is such a basic functionality that it's impressive that hasn't been implemented. At our company we do residential community projects and in one house model we might have 100 options. navigating through them is a nightmare and waste of time. We are able to produce thousands of different plan layouts through this amazing feature.

I don't think this issue will gather traction as there are very few people using design option at such an extent. But still the functionality of sorting design options is such a basic one that it is embarrassing that has not been implemented day one when design options were introduced as a feature in the software. I mean it's ridiculous!

jdondondon
Observer

I posted this in the other threads requesting the same thing:

"Sorting Design Options is such a basic functionality that it's impressive that hasn't been implemented. At our company we do residential community projects and in one house model we might have 100 options. navigating through them is a nightmare and waste of time. We are able to produce thousands of different plan layouts through this amazing feature.

I don't think this issue will gather traction as there are very few people using design option at such an extent. But still the functionality of sorting design options is such a basic one that it is embarrassing that has not been implemented day one when design options were introduced as a feature in the software. I mean it's ridiculous!

"

If Autodesk doesn't want to do it, another options is to allow API access to design options, so that the community of developers can produce plugins or dynamo scripts.

ryan.knight
Community Visitor

Agreed!!! this if 100% required!!!

michael_coffey
Advocate

Can you believe it takes years and years to simply get a list ordered alphabetically?  Nevermind the more complicated manual ordering options.

schmiedm
Contributor

Yes - I agree that the Design Option should short alphabetically or have ways to manage order/placement of Design Options

Another comment is to prompt users for Design Option Set names and Design Option Names under a set when they create them. This is the more typical behavior elsewhere in Revit.

pieter5
Advisor

This was released yesterday with Revit 2021! Thanks to Oleg and Tamas from the developer team to making this a reality!

(Revit 2021 also includes a whole bunch of fixes for design options).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report