Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit should allow more parameters types to be variable by group instance.

Revit should allow more parameters types to be variable by group instance.

It would be great if Revit would allow more parameter types to be varied by group instance! If you create a Project Parameter, there is only a limited number of parameter types that can be varied by group instance. See here. Due to the highly useful nature of groups, we would like to see them have more flexibility. If a family is driven by instance parameters such as length then you can obviously not allow that parameter to vary by group instance, however if you have strictly an instance length project parameter that doesn't drive anything, that may be used for simply copying other parameter values in for scheduling purposes such as the Built-in and un-schedulable "Offset" Parameter. Or for use in calculated values in a Revit schedule or any other number of reasons. Case in point, unless there is some specific reason a parameter type will break a group then it should have the option to have it vary by group instance. Thanks.

by group instance.PNG

13 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

Values can vary by group type has the potential to be very useful but has two flaws that prevent them from being as flexible as needed.

• All types of parameters should be allowed to vary by group instance.  Currently number, integer, length, angle, slope, yes/no and <family type> parameters can't vary by group instance.  We regularly use groups to manage identical storefront+door systems, but while the construction is the same the data for each door is not.  The occupant load at the door (number or integer) may be different for each door, as might other code elements such as exit door or institutional occupancy (y/n) parameters that we refer to while managing code information
  • Shared parameters need to be allowed to vary by group instance.  Because the data assigned, like an occupant load at the door, may need to appear in tags!
Tags (4)
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a Shared Parameter's DATATYPE is LENGTH, I cannot set the parameter to "Values can vary by group instance". We use this to fill in elevation related parameters in Group, of course these values can differ between Model Groups. It feels contradictory that a Shared Parameter which is TEXT is allowed to be set to "Values can vary by group instance".

CanVaryByGroupInstance.PNG

Please also take into consideration other limitations of Groups: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/groups-powerful-but-mediocre-implementation/idi-p/6826483.

Tags (3)
jkidder
Collaborator

I agree.  My request here explains how we use number, integer & y/n parameters in groups and why we need them to vary by group.  I understand why things that could change how a group looks weren't included, but that could be what is needed (and if an error results it should give a can't create type or one of the other group or family errors). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I think it's a big obstacle when writing Plugins to Revit

Is there any explaninations why not all parameter storagesTypes have the setting "Can vary by group instance" ??  

n_mulconray
Advocate

This needs to be available for all storage types as it is already a massive problem automating the changes to families when they are grouped. Despite the clunky complicated workarounds that move the groups location or cause database errors.  

If we could get this fixed in newer versions of revit I would be very grateful to Autodesk for it's assistance in progressing efficiency.

pieter4
Advisor
steiner
Advocate

There is a workaround:

You can translate the yes/no parameter to a text parameter (instance or type) with the values of your choice. Just write in your text parameter the formula = if (yes/no parameter, "Text value if yes/no is checked", "Text value if yes/no is unchecked").

2019-09-23 18_14_03-Familientypen.jpg

Hope that helps

n_mulconray
Advocate

Testing now

n_mulconray
Advocate

Is this not just driving a text value type?

How can you drive forwards you are reversing up?

beep beep look out the way here comes silly groups and their adherents!

josh_moore
Enthusiast

This would solve a lot of programming needs for editing family values contained in groups.  I'm not aware of another good way to handle this.  We just need Autodesk to allow for other Parameter Types to vary by group instance.  Number, Integer and Yes/No would be my top 3 needs

n_mulconray
Advocate

Yes I agree with your priority list.

PieterL_TM
Advocate

I gave this the 100th thumbs up. I just bumped into an issue where I really need this to be possible. How difficult can it be to add this function?? This was asked 5 years ago, and stil no change. Revit is getting worse in stead of improving...

Is there a fundamental reason why non-text parameters cannot be allowed to vary by type in groups?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators