Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit for Landscape Architects

Revit for Landscape Architects

This isn't the first time that someone is posting about this topic and I don’t think this will be the last time either. It’s been almost 10 years since first tread about Revit and Landscape architecture was posted here. Considering the fact, the industry of design includes all fields, I would hope for the software to cater the same. But unfortunately, this is not the case. As an Architect and Landscape Architect, I have used Revit in both fields, and I must admit that while on one side there is abundance of information freely available, on the other side there's barely any. With almost every designer working in Revit, Landscape Architects especially feel the pain due to unavailability of information. I will try to outline a few major issues to begin with, hoping that Autodesk would help us bridge this gap. 
  1. A dedicated tab for Landscape Architects - 
    There's an Architecture tab/ Structures tab/ MEP tab. I think its high time to introduce a Landscape Architecture tab that contains all the important tools that we as LA's would use. The only tab that has any relevant LA information is Massing& Site but LA's barely use this. 
  2. Planting Library - 
    This has been bought up multiple times before, but no action has been taken. There were comments regarding Archvision having Planting RPC families but they only cater to North America. There is no inclusive planting library that allows us to make our own. I work in Australia and there are barely any Australian Native plants in this mix.
  3. Clash Detection -
    A warning system that helps identifies clashes with the TPZ of existing tress with any existing/proposed new elements. This would be very similar to the clash detection system that floors and walls elements have in Revit.
  4. Line Types with Text-
    This is not a re-invention of the wheel. It was already available in AutoCAD and I do not understand the reason behind why it was not transferred across to Revit. This would help not only LA’s but all designers in documentation because current Revit system only identifies a line with a dash, a dot or a space. The addition of text and pattern would help everyone.
  5. Multi-Leader Continuation tag -
    A tag that would cater to multiple elements of the same family with a leader combining all of them i.e, 5 Trees, 10 Bollards etc.

It would be a massive relief if Autodesk Revit could cater to all the designers rather than a selected few, because the industry of design is ever growing. With more and more designers investing their time and money into this software for a more collaborative (both cloud based and offline) environment and a better outcome, it is high time that Autodesk Revit is inclusive and accommodates the needs of ALL the designers. It would be interesting to hear constructive comments from fellow landscape architects and designers, as to how this situation can be improvised.

11 Comments
andreasN3KJC
Explorer

We work on a consistent basis with Architects and Engineers using Revit and now that we have begun the process of learning / integrating Revit in our workflow, we see that Revit could be SO helpful for us Landscape Architects but as of now is severely lacking the necessary design tools, such as a large plant library, etc. 

Please create a sister program: Revit for Landscape Architects.

There is so much potential!

Tags (2)
ccifuentes1213
Explorer

I was interested in this same idea, however, isn't there a way to make custom RPC's?

And also, perhaps working with some .pad textures for the floors could work just fine 🙂

andreasN3KJC
Explorer

Yes but there are so many more ways that the program could cater towards landscape architecture beyond RPC's and textures.

Land f/x does this quite well, but it would be helpful if Revit could take this on since it is the program used across disciplines.

Perfect Architectural Models (PAM) is a well-versed Model Making in UAE providing vast specialized model making services. Started in 1983, our journey of State-Of-The-Art models have set a proven record of not limited to Architectural models, Leisure models, Industrial models, Mechanical models, Marine models, Prototype models.

aleks.fedorov
Explorer

I was interested in this same idea, however, isn't there a way to make custom RPC's?

Yes, there is Archvision Dashboard tool for RPC's.

jaxjaguar713
Community Visitor

As an up and coming Landscape Architect I would have to agree.  BIM software like Revit is becoming the industry standard when designing projects that integrate many disciplines. The sad thing is that the LA's have become the forgotten step-children. We have always been asked to be well versed in a variety of software programs so that we can create plans in conjunction with architects and civil engineers without a misstep in efficiency. We work in a forming landscapes that enhance the architects building while coordinating with civil engineers, electricians, etc. to make sure the final product is functional. In a sense we are the glue that combines all of these efforts into one. Revit's BIM is great for multidisciplinary projects but it is severely lacking in a workflow efficiency for Landscape Architects. Furthermore, the Autodesk CAD Learning doesn't offer any tutorials on the "work arounds" that LA's must perform in order to create planting components/ schedules/ or site components in Revit. There have been LA's asking for Revit to add a sister software geared for LA's for years now and it seems to be getting put to side every year. There is Revit Architecture, Revit MEP, and Revit Structure, but no Revit Landscape. We have to coordinate between all of these disciplines but are provided no BIM software structure catered to help us in this collaborated effort.

There are companies that already know what LA's need when it comes to software and project management.

You have companies like LandF/X who have added plugins that assist with workflows and efficient productivity with CAD. I would suggest that Revit work in conjunction with LandF/X to incorporate what they know Landscape Architects need in order to create a SIM product (Site Information Management) that can be just as efficient and effective as BIM software is for architects and civil engineers.

When it comes to budgets for projects, landscape budgets are typically the smallest and usually the first ones to be cut. If a project manager hast to cut man hours in order to meet that new budget, efficiency in production is paramount to meeting the project goals. When there is no real efficient way for LA's to operate in Revit it makes meeting those goals next to impossible.

Revit is a great tool and has many applications that make life easier for all disciplines. I have watched many Youtube tutorials and webinars on how LA's can use Revit  but most of them detail how we would be required to create many different parameters for Walls and Floors that make it work.  That initial step in production is extremely time consuming any many offices don't have the manpower to accomplish these tasks before each project. I just wish the Autodesk community would listen to our pleas for help. Maybe have your team watch the tutorials and webinars on the LA "work arounds" for Revit. Develop a Cad Learning tutorial for Revit workflows geared for LA's. At least we could have assistance in ONE place that could help us integrate into the world of Revit. 

Yien_Chao
Advisor

i agree.

my question for you : what are you using right now? and what are the others possibilities?

agrande
Enthusiast

In addition to everything you mentioned (fantastic/very necessary ideas) there needs to be a simpler topography tool that would mimic the AutoCAD way as I understand it.  

I'm not a landscape architect, but I have helped the professional in my office layout topo lines by their markups.  In the past, they've layed out the linework in CAD, have been able to set 3D heights to them, and then when rendering was needed I could import the CAD layout and apply Revit topography based on the 3D CAD layout, which rendering is really the only reason to have fully modeled topo.  Why can't this be built into Revit itself, in some kind of sketch mode allowing you to break existing topo where it will be demolished, sketching lines ahead of modeling actual ground, having more sub-categories to the main site category available that deal with utilities, things of this nature?  If I've learned anything from helping a landscape architect, it is much easier for them to work without a cumbersome model tool that exists now in Revit.  More of a quick sketch-type tool would seem to benefit more.  Let it be very similar to AutoCAD, but give it a boost to the power of translating it to Revit.  

Srivani.Manchala
Explorer

@Yien_Chao : Currently we are using Revit and Vectorworks mostly for documentation purposes across the studio. They both have their own pros and cons. It would be great if the ease with which planting is done in VW could be transferred across to Revit. 

@agrande Thank you for an another great idea. I think it is possible to split topo surfaces in Revit to show which is existing, which is demolished and which is new construction. But I agree with you that in sketch phase its not as efficient as one would hope it would be. 

To add to the above, another tool that could be developed is seamless floor hatches. Hatches break apart when floors become triangulated. Trying to find workarounds to get proper surface hatches is a pain for landscape architects. If anyone has any ideas regarding a work around of the surface hatches, please do share. It would be highly appreciated. 

infoNPAEN
Explorer
Hi everyone. We just published our plugin and I hope that from now, there is no more pain for landscape architect in revit 🙂 https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=8520754940993057579&appLang=en&os=Win64
spowell
Participant

Hey Autodesk, how about you start to recognize and put some attention to Landscape in Revit. All the other disciplines have made significant traction. Its time we look at some Landscape tools for Revit. In the first instance we need a Landscape tab with some tools and secondly, we need a Landscape discipline in Revit Properties. For starters, move the Model/Modify Site panel tools into the new Landscape tab and we need tools to do plant mixes and planting layouts. I just want to start the conversation. Lets hope for something for Landscape Architecture in future releases of Autodesk Revit Software. thanks

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report