Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Familie thumbnails in properties dorpdownmenu

Familie thumbnails in properties dorpdownmenu

Hi,

pleas give us the option to effect the thumbnails of families in revit. If i load a detail item or a generic familie (with only a detail item in it) in my projet there is nothing visibil in the thumbnail.

2016-06-13_15h00_27.jpg

So plz give us something. I know from RDAOU in my thread (germen revit forum) that this issu is known for a long time.

I could be something like the option for the windows thumbnail or mayby its just the same picture for both.

2016-06-13_15h07_50.jpg

Greetings

13 Comments
michael_coffey
Advocate

Set family preview to show the front of the family instead of the back of the family.

Tags (3)
afiejtek
Participant

Please add a preview box to detail items search dialog in Revit. It is very difficult to find anything when you have more than a hundred detail item families in use in the project. This functionality is available to other families like doors for example.

Lance.Coffey
Autodesk Support

I've recently run into this behavior myself.

To clarify, this is the preview of a family in the Type Selector.

(The Thumbnail preview of a family/project can be controlled in the Save As Options)

SashKaz
Advocate

I would also like to add that some of the category thumbnails, such as Casework, needs to be resolved. Right now, even when you save the thumbnail preview, the casework shows the backside!

Sash

Kevin.Olsen
Explorer

This is a weird problem and seems like a no-brainer!

pieter5
Advisor

I would actually suggest that it would use the same thumbnail that windows uses. Revit already allows us to completely set this up to our liking ( http://bimscape.com/revit-setting-the-thumbnail-preview-image/)

The only problem is: the type selector doesn't use this thumbnail! That way we can setup a view in the families that are used to generate the thumbnails and hide reference planes, select consistent camera angle, ... 

anthonyIntensify
Contributor

Agreed.

Some families do show previews in the Type Selector while others do not. Google shows a few different suggestions for how to make this work, but no consensus, and I can't get any of them to work consistently.

First request: a procedure that will result in a preview showing in the Type Selector.

Second requrst: to have that preview facing the front not the back.

Thanking you in advance.

echeung10
Observer

Same problem with no thumbnail or incorrect preview of the family (casework) after loading into project. I found that the visibility settings play a part in triggering this "bug" which I think it shouldn't. 

If the extrusion is turned off at fine detail level, the preview in the project file will disappear too. 

Are there any updates or solutions to this repetitive problem? 

phillip
Explorer

New Revit users here. I see this problem has been around forever. It would be nice if it was fixed and the end users paying Autodesk get a say in the software they develop.

Lars_Jeppesen
Enthusiast

Yep...nearing end of 2021 and still waiting....

n.azbell
Contributor

Just ran into this myself while creating new content for my company.

From what I can tell, the default Type Selector thumbnail is hardcoded to the default Back-Left-Top view in the Family.  It doesn't matter if you override the view cube orientation in the Family.

MBBIM
Enthusiast

In my version the visibility settings in the family effect the thumbnail outcome. So im stuck with an empty window thumbnail.

_dalewfd
Enthusiast

Thumbnail behaviour in the Type Selector is still rather annoying

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report