Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Family Editor for Labels: Object Value Access to the Normal Parameters

Revit Family Editor for Labels: Object Value Access to the Normal Parameters

I want the Normal Family Type Parameters to have access to Values of the Labels. For instance in A Project an Objekt A has a Label which displays Parameter X and Y and Z, Object B has the same Label but no Parameter X only Y and Z but I dont want Z displayed. So the Label will show ? and Y and Z. I want the Label of object B to be only Y, without that the user needs to change the Typ. In this change I already have 20 Types(Yes I actually have 20 Parameters in my Label-Family), and I dont want to add more types. Thats why I would like the Normal Parameters to access the Values of the Labels, so I could write the formula for a visibility Parameter for X in the Label family: if(parameter X = empty, hide Label, show Label). The Label Editor would this case also show unwanted parameters, and I dont want to make yet another type.

5 Comments
dfoth
Enthusiast

@Mark.Friis 

I recently made a Mech Equipment/Generic Model tag that has 14 labels. See image below with explanation.

dfoth_0-1682348636431.png

To control the position of a label you have to draw an Invisible Line beneath the Label and then group the Label with the Invisible Line. Then you can put a dimension on the reference plane to the Invisible Line in the group and control the group's position by making the dim into a parameter.
I still have to create different types for different labels to be shown but I was able to figure out the formulas required for the parameters to shift each label based on the visibility of the previous label. 

Mark.Friis
Advocate

Hi dfoth,

I did also work like this, and I did make the Labels directly connect to the fixed reference line of origin, so that I have the possibility to control the Order of the labels. The only problem though, is that I have to create a lot of types this way. Im already above 24 Types. Because if the Object which you Tag, doesnt have one of the Parameters a  "?" will show up in its space. This is really cumbersome. And If you would like the User to include a Comment to each Label, then you would need to create 2x as many types. Or each user has to create his/hers own types. Regarding comments I have gone back to where each Label is a group with a Multi-Label which includes comments and all other Parameters. The Distance Ordering is only for myself to give an overview of all Labels in the Family. This way the user doesnt have to switch the Family-type, each time a parameter is not available.

dfoth
Enthusiast

@Mark.Friis 
Yes, I agree. I dislike the need for the user to create new types. Leaves a lot of variability in the hands of the general user and will cause there to be duplicate types created if users don't communicate on which type they should be using. I gave you a vote.  

Mark.Friis
Advocate

I could Imagine the solution to be something like this, where the Label is connected to a parameter:

MarkFriis_0-1682352127588.png

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

Having a 'show' column in the label dialogue that can be associated to a visibility parameter would make this a lot easier for sure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report