Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Shared Parameter

Rename Shared Parameter

Rename a shared parameter after creating it.

11 Comments
DiegoMinato
Explorer

A shared parameter is by definition "univocal" having a unique ID: it is at the base of the functioning of the "shared parameters".
Changing the parameter name without changing the ID will cause errors between objects, especially with loaded families.
What you ask is already there: new parameter and then cancellation of the old one.

s.dufour
Contributor

yes i agree with you but when you have 10eme of parameters to modify it is a long task, without interest and sources of errors. There are many things I would like to do and do not do because of this

MagedAhmad
Contributor

Check our plugin Megara Shared Parameters Renamer,
It renames shared parameters in Revit Families, and may fit your needs.
https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=575148224220279298

s.dufour
Contributor

Thank you @MagedAhmad.

Yes indeed there are several solutions but it is necessary, again, to pay in addition whereas the suites of software AEC costs a certain price. Moreover for these pluggins, maintenance and support are not necessarily effective, often in English and not completely adapt to the needs.
When you deploy BIM processes the financing of its tools, in addition to the price of the licenses of our modeling tools, is always to justify to the management who do not necessarily understand the necessity, finally I have not badly not this chance. It would be interesting that Autodesk decide to do what is necessary because I do not find it normal that users "tinkering" with multiple free or paid solutions like Dynamo.

Since Revit internally only cares about the GUID and quite happily handles different names for the same shared parameter in different families this idea makes good sense, especially for internationalisation. 

If you create two shared parameters, let's call them height and width, save the shared parameter file, start a family and use those two parameters. Now close all the files, open the shared parameter file and edit it in notepad, change the names of those parameters to largeur and hauteur respectively, save the file with a new name (perhaps suffix with -fr). Create a new family use the french parameters. Now start a new project, first bring in the french family, check the parameters - they will have the french names. Now bring in the first family, check the parameters, voila! they will also have french names.

s.dufour
Contributor

Thank you @MichaelWarwick7522 
I know that there are several solutions to manage the shared parameters but the manipulations that you describe are not within the reach of a novice. When you have to rename tens of parameters in your models, your families, your labels, do it during the project, ... after 2 hours your eyes scratch you. Some plugins exist and do it !! So why not integrate the basic software! It's still a key element in Revit.

Bye

s.dufour
Contributor

thank you very much for your many votes

Ning_Zhou
Advocate

Maged Ahmad:

does it have trial period? to my understanding, in order to rename existing SPs in RVT, you have to first DELETE project parameters which are SPs, then upload all RFAs w/ renamed SPs, is it correct?

Michael Warwick:

do you mean both French and English names using same GUID, or basically ONE single same SP?

@Ning_Zhou, I meant both French and English using the same GUID. You are right, they are nearly impossible to remove from a project so this Revit Idea, would make it easier. Since the first SP to use a GUID will define its name you could, for example, download the ANZRS shared parameter lists, rename them in the text files into your preferred language, and then load them all as project parameters into your template. Now any families that use ANZRS parameters from any manufacturer or content provider will have their parameters in the language your users are most familiar with.

Ning_Zhou
Advocate

1) i don't think Revit will "rename" project parameters after you load SPs (same GUID but different name i.e. French translation) from renamed SP file, most likely RVT will have 2 project parameters (same GUID but one in English another in French), i'll explore if it's doable to rename SPs (same GUID) via API, hope it's working, anyone tried before?

2) anyone know if it's doable to have comments in SP file? for instance, c# has // and /* */, what i'm thinking is have one SINGLE SP file w/ both English and French or whatever language in single line, comment out one language or another, otherwise, 2 separate SP files may needed which is not desired.

3) to REALLY remove SPs (w/o binding to project parameters) from RVT, you have to do it via coding or at least using lookup tool to get ID and manually delete it.

tnievesP53K8
Contributor

I believe this feature would make managing many families that use these parameters a bit easier, especially when you have several offices and periodically need to "Unifi" things. The GUID's get messy if people are deleting shared parameters just to make new renamed versions. Of course you can edit the txt file, but I think it would be better to have that ability in interface. 

With the new parameter service AD is introducing, they should introduce renaming parameters in that at as you wouldn't be able to change it by simply changing the txt file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report