Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

provide Toposolid with Slope and Offset

provide Toposolid with Slope and Offset

PLEASE provide Toposolid the features of Slope and Offset. 

When site grading, we have a start point for cut/fill, and a slope standard as either a Run-Rise ratio or Percentage (provide both options, please). We don't know what the end elevations will be, and sometimes don't care. We care about the Slope of the cut/fill and the distance it will go. Those elevations at the edge of the new grading will be whatever they will be. The intersection of existing grade and new cut/fill will vary and not be a consistent straight line. The end elevation cannot be calc'd across a varying ground surface. 

Roofs have a slope arrow function. Ramps are made with slopes. Add the same feature to Toposolids. And while you're at it, add Slope to Floors as well. 

Also, add an Offset feature to start the slope at. When grading around a path (driveway, walkway, road, etc), for example, there may be a shoulder to from where the new grade starts, either cut or fill. Or excavating existing topo for a new foundation there may be an offset from the base of the new building footing and a layback for the excavation. Offsets for grading can be from a line - including Splines - such as along the face of a building, or a geometry such a path, parking area, etc. 

There are so many real-world scenarios where Slope and Offset for Toposolid would be extremely useful. And actually make Toposolid functional and useful. I've listed just a couple that come to mind in my own work. 

Afterthought: writing this suggestion, I find it baffling that Autodesk hasn't already included Slope as a feature of Toposolid. But given how poorly developed Revit's topo tools have historically been, I shouldn't been surprised. 

3 Comments
Mike.FORM
Advisor

This is already available in the sketch mode for toposolids. It is also available for floors too.

Is this not what you are wanting?

MikeFORM_0-1721668548016.png

mpukas
Collaborator

@Mike.FORM Ugh,,, I missed that. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that I overlooked. 

However, Toposolds and Floors can only have one slope arrow. Roofs can have more than one slope arrow, which can create hips and valleys, and offers more create solutions within one roof element. With only one slope arrow available, multiple Toposolids have to be modeled and coordinated for more complex site grading/features. At least slope arrows do already exist. Thanks again. 

mpukas
Collaborator

Another shortcoming is when there is a slope arrow, you cannot use Modify Sub Elements to change the elevation of points. Only one or the other is possible. This is extremely limiting when regrading a site to get proper drainage and then match existing grades. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report