Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing Rooms

Phasing Rooms

Hello, 

Please allow Rooms to be an element that can be phased and demolished.

Often times, demolition views are set to "Show Previous + Demo" on a Phase filter, and "New Construction Phase" on the Phase. Because the view is set to "New construction, all rooms created on an "Existing" Phase disappear. This becomes problematic when rooms within rooms are demolished (two rooms become one room for a renovation project). The boundaries for the existing room no longer exist, so you can't label that room in a demolition view. 

My company circumvents this issue by creating symbols that look like room tags. This works, except that we have to copy the symbolic room tag across multiple views, which is irritating. 

I was hoping this would change with 2019. If this is not possible to do, please explain how to tag existing rooms when the view is set to Phase, "New Construction."

Thank you, 

Michelle 

81 Comments
aharp
Explorer

I would love to be able to demolish rooms and show the exsting remaining rooms in new phases.

Tags (3)
sacha.parkinson
Explorer

I agree!! Phasing of rooms is the biggest issue when you are working within an existing building. 

It is easy enough to place rooms on a plan phased existing and copy them over to new construction, however when a demolition plan is created, only 'new construction' rooms can be tagged. Which doesnt make sense because you are still seeing the walls that should be bounding existing rooms. 

Our only work around is to use text notes as room names, which is just ridiculous.

I have also previously duplicated the view, changed the phasing, turned everything off except rooms and tags, then tagged the existing rooms and placed the view on the sheet ontop of the demo plan. Also not ideal as it is difficult to select the correct view on the plan. 

bwinterscheidt
Enthusiast

Yes, the inability to see/tag previous phase rooms in demolition plans is particularly frustrating.

Perhaps could address this in part with some new phase filters?  "Show Existing + Future Demolition"...

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

YES YES YES!!!  I wish I could vote this one up twice!!  This is a huge problem for renovation projects.

jkidder
Collaborator

I agree, this is something that needs to be fixed!  It takes time to make sure all the rooms are named the same if you make a change.  I have a multi-phase project where I have to manage rooms in 5+ phases, it's very frustrating!

purvigirwin
Advocate

This is a big issue and I have a good workaround for the time being until it gets resolved in the API. You make a second view, set to existing, showing only the rooms and room tags. You then place this view on top of the demo plan on the sheet. When you print it, you can't tell that it's two views. It's a workaround, but a fairly simple one, as you can set up a view template for "demo room names only".

jkidder
Collaborator

@purvigirwin Yes, this works, and it's what we do too.  It gets very frustrating to manage on larger multi-phase projects.  I have a current project that has 4 models (one existing and one for each deliverable) and 5 phases (Existing, each deliverable and a project complete so everything displays correctly. Every time I add room I have to make sure it's in both the project complete and the current phase.  If a room is being modified in a project I have to put it in every phase in its new project. Any time room information is changed it must be changed in every phase.  It adds multiple steps to even a simple change, like changing a room name, and has a greater change of errors and inconsistencies.

purvigirwin
Advocate

@jkidder, that sounds extremely frustrating! I haven't done project with multiple phases this way. Hopefully this is something that will get resolved soon.

rickt
Contributor

This would be a significant software design improvement.  Seems like this could be addressed in the Phase Filters so that you could set the ability to tag rooms to the "Current" or "Previous" phase.

PLEASE FIX THIS.  This would save so much time on renovation projects.

jkidder
Collaborator

@rickt I think you would tag rooms the same way any other element with phass would be tagged.  In a "Previous + Demo" phase you would only see the rooms in the previous phase, and tag them.  If you are in a "Show All" view where you see both new & demo rooms you would tab to the one you wan to tag.

rickt
Contributor

@jkidder, I think we are saying the same thing with one exception.  Are you say that in addition to having a "Current" and "Previous" option, you would also like to have rooms from "Both" phases visible?

If so, that may get confusing.  You could have people tagging rooms from two different phases on a single plan.  With different skill level users working on projects, it seems wise to restrict the users to tagging only rooms from a single phase. Do you know of a scenario where want to tag rooms from multiple phases in a single view?

Otherwise, the original issue was to make demolition plans that we can tag existing rooms (since the new rooms don't exist during demolition).

jkidder
Collaborator

@rickt No, I don't know of a reason why you'd want to see multiple rooms, but I also don't see a reason to treat them differently than any other phased element.  If you don't want to see two rooms at the same time, make sure they don't exist at the same time, and don't use a phase filter like "Show All"!  Once rooms are phased you wouldn't see rooms in the new construction phase in a demo plan, just as you wouldn't see new walls in a demo phase.

rickt
Contributor

@jkidder I was responding to the issue described by

sacha.parkinson on 06.06 and
bwinterscheidt on 06.24.

Being able to create a demo plan that shows the walls as demolished but still being able to tag the rooms from the previous phase.  This is a reflection of the real world situation that we encounter on every renovation project.  Needing to see the walls demolished with existing tags.

Are you advocating for making rooms persistent across phases?  More like walls, doors, etc.  I would be in favor of that as well, but it may or may not address the demolition plan issue (depending on how Autodesk implements the change).
rickt
Contributor

@jkidder Attached is an example of what needs to fixed.  The existing and new plans work just fine.  The issue is with demolition plans only.  Neither of the bottom two examples are ideal.  One requires room tags that don't align with the walls, the other requires the use of two separate views.  This issue needs to be addressed whether or not rooms are persistent across phase.

Demo Plan Room Tags.PNG

Yien_Chao
Advisor

Rooms phasing parameter is specifically "phase" not "phase created". Thus on a new phase, the existing rooms are no longer there and we have to copy the existing one and paste it to new phase. It should be logical to have Rooms with "phase created and "Phase demolished" parameters.

a.saad.8
Explorer

I think I can consider that 2017 is one of the happiest years in my life if you added the ability of changing the room phase (after creating it)  🙂

I am working on a very big project; which will be constructed in multiple phases; however the project phases are not completely decided yet. Which makes changing the rooms phases a big issue for me as a BIM Coordinator and also the rest of the project team. 

Tags (3)
SamBerk
Advocate

You can definitely do it now, 

select the rooms, click cut to clipboard, make sure nothing is selected, on the properties palette change the current phase to the phase you want this rooms to be, from the paste dropdown choose align to the same place.

enjoy,

a.saad.8
Explorer

Hi SamBerk, 

Thanks for your comment! 

In fact this is the trick which we are using so far, but unfortunately it is not totally satisfying for us; for multiple reasons. 

For example; whenever you copy or cut the room and then paste it somewhere, it will create a new element with a new ID; which is not practical for me since I am using plugins like BIM link and Dynamo, I am dealing with REVIT elements by their IDs. 

Another example is that sometimes we don't have all the floor will be constructed in the same phase, or maybe something as it is called in French "opération tiroir" that I need to change some of the rooms phases for just a specific time, and then later on it will be placed on another phase and so on. 

Best

Ahmed

SamBerk
Advocate

Ok, i understand so i will vote this up.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report