Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint tool enhancement

Paint tool enhancement

Paint tool enhancement, adding the possibility to paint surfaces with a material parameter.

10 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can already do this.  I do it all the time when I don't want the entire modeled element to be the same color.

jedry
Contributor

Hello,
Surely you use the paint tool to change the material of a surface, but you do not apply a material parameter. This procedure would allow you to apply the parameter "Interior painting" and not the material directly, making it editable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I apply material parameters to my families....  thus  I can change the material to whatever I want in the project.

Notice the materials I can paint with that has (param) after them ...those are my material parameters.

Ah, and I found a spelling mistake. (wondering how many families have that misspelled...)

material parameters.png

jedry
Contributor

Hi Michael,

A material is not a parameter, it is a parameter value. A parameter allows you to change its value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Painting parameters.png

Looks like I'm painting with parameters to me...and then I can change the value of those parameters in the project.

So the idea is already there, unless you need to describe in more detail where what I am showing is not what you are wanting to be implemented.

jedry
Contributor

Michael,

The explanation below is based on your attached images:

In a family or in a project, when using the tool "Paint" you could not choose the parameter "Base Finish" to paint a surface, you choose any of the available materials. See attached picture.

Capture.PNG
My idea is to be able to paint with the parameter "Base Finish" in order to change the material from the project as it would be with any other element that was not painted.

This procedure would make the editing of materials more flexible and would help to manage all the material information such as paint.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In a FAMILY you CAN paint with a Material Parameter....that is what I am saying.

BTW, in your attached picture you have about 4 parameters in there.  Material Interior (param) and Material Exterior (param).  So you can paint with those and then change them to the material you want in the project.  

jedry
Contributor

Michael, 

Thanks for your feedback, you are right, in a family is possible, i hope this could be possible in the project environment.

pieter4
Advisor

Sounds like you want to be able to paint with a global parameter.

There's an idea for that already though: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/ability-to-quot-paint-quot-using-a-global-material-parame...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep...and that is why my material parameters in my casework are linked to global parameters for now so I can change in one place.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report