Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

override graphics in view by element for objects in linked files.

override graphics in view by element for objects in linked files.

On the large projects I work on we often need split our models. Once you do this though e can no longer override graphics in view per element. We can do it in a limited fashion with filters however it is limiting for us to not have this avail le to use. Can Autodesk please have a look at making this possible. It would make my life so much easier so there is less for the Revit users on my teams to complain about that Revit can't do.
10 Comments
michael_coffey
Advocate

Add ability to change the graphics of linked element on a per view basis.

matt
Advocate

Currently you can only hide or unhide. I would like to have the usual graphical override dialog for colors, weight, patterns, fill, etc.

Yien_Chao
Advisor
You can control visibility of link model by linked view or completely personalized it.
mbrPLH
Contributor
Thanks Yien Chao but you should try and Select an individual element in a link and try to override it's graphics. You can't. It can be hidden in view but not overriden.
Yien_Chao
Advisor
Couldn't you then create a filter more precised to override those elements?
mbrPLH
Contributor
Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, this is how we get around it currently, but for larger numbers of objects. As you know, for this you have to use a parameter to deal with it and it complicates what could otherwise be a simple right click on the object and override It would be simpler to simply allow an override element from a link as if it is live in the file. When overriding objects in links it would make things easier if it worked the same way regardless. Why can you use the linework override tool on lines coming in from a link but not override the whole individual element.
tomek
Collaborator

@mbrPLH I agree, this should be generalised so that links can be overriden. For example, I really want to override how silhouettes are displayed in 3D views except this setting has no effect on linked models. This makes me sad.

abigail.olivieri
Advocate

This is true, its needed because filters can become confusing and if no one knows its applied outside the office then they will be thinking they are missing information in the model before thinking of filters....i am thinking that this issue might also be connected to being able to underlay/overlay a linked portion of a plan.  The other day i needed to bring on a portion of a linked model into my plan.  I tried plan region and modified my view range but again a link is a link and once its turned off the plan looses that view.  

AMKorlekar
Participant

Yes thats much needed. being able to control the visibility / graphics of elements from linked models on per element basis.

matthias.barth
Contributor

This request is till very much needed.

Filters are a bad workaround, at least in my case. Since we get a big project file from client from time to time, i'd have to open their file each time we get a new one and edit stuff to my needs.
Edits are changing by day, so it's not something that can stick around. Also, filters are not a good option for me because i'd have to switch between models multiple times a day, just to edit a variable that i use for filtering in my model.

If we were able to simply override by element linked files, it would cost me two clicks instead of 5+ minutes to open their file, and reload it in mine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report