Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Option to set Project Units for generic numbers and integers

No Option to set Project Units for generic numbers and integers

The Project Units dialog allows you to set the default format for specialized units (length, Area, currency, etc.) However, there is no option to set the default format for integers and numbers not tied to anything.   

Example leading to request:

My areas have an Occupant Load parameter (number).  I noticed that digit group wasn't turned on, and after realizing the parameter format was set to use default settings went to turn on digit grouping throughout the project.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to set digit grouping for non-specialized numbers/integers.  Please add an option to specify default behavior for generic numbers to the Project Units dialog!

Revit units settings.png

13 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

The Project Units dialog allows you to set the default format for specialized units (length, Area, currency, etc.) However, there is no option to set the default format for integers and numbers not tied to anything.   

Example leading to request:

My areas have a Occupant Load parameter (number).  I noticed that digit group wasn't turned on, and after realzing the parameter format was set to use default settings went to turn on digit grouping throughout the project.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to set digit grouping for non-specialized numbers/integers.  Please add an option to specify default behavior for generic numbers to the Project Units dialog!

Missing Default Units.PNG

Tags (2)
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sasha.crotty It's 2020, still no "support of the community"? Would really like to see a solution to this bug.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Hi Pradipta,

This issue was closed as a bulk operation for issues that had been open for more than 6 months and received fewer than 10 votes (the closest thing we have to a measure of community support). I am happy to reopen it if you feel doing so would result in it getting a significant number of additional votes.

Thanks,

Sasha

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @sasha.crotty 

Does Autodesk carry out improvements based on community votes?
I do not have the resources to run a campaign to collect enough votes to implement something as simple and intuitive as digit separators to integer type shared project parameters.

I am happy to start a new thread afresh if Autodesk developers are in doubt that the community would not benefit from having this feature.

Thanks,

Praddy

jkidder
Collaborator

I recreated the idea here 

jkidder
Collaborator

This is a repost of the archived idea here.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Hi Praddy,

Like any software out there, there are many more feature requests than we can possibly do in a given release. Therefore we have to prioritize among the many great ideas that our customers have suggested. There are many factors that go into prioritization. The number of votes is one of them, but it is certainly not the only one.

Thanks,

Sasha

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Community Members,

Thank you @jkidder for resurrecting this post.

It has been 4 years and I would have hoped that there would be solution to this by now.

If you see the thread from 2016, I was told by an Autodesk developer that this topic needs to gain a lot of traction in the community before Autodesk would consider looking into this.

Hoping to hear from other users if there is a solution/hack/work-around to this matter, or that this topic can gain enough votes to make it reach Autodesk.

Best,

Praddy

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Oh, also, if you want the 40 minute answer to your question, I suggest checking out one of our recent Inside the Factory Sessions on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-6G3gA94JU

matt.hand52
Enthusiast

Adding some more feedback to this topic. I've been pulling my hair out trying to locate where a "Number" Family Parameter is getting it's units from. I am scheduling Generic Annotations for Drawing Notes. Although the Label in the Family has Units Overridden to "Suppress Trailing Zeros", both in the family and in the project environment, the parameters of that family display all the trailing zeros, which for some reason defaults to 6 DECIMAL PLACES! My symbol itself is cutting it short, but in the temporary edit value and in the properties, it always shows all decimal places. I understand if it's difficult to add a setting for this, but why is the default setting so unusable? I also tried creating new Labels with new Number Parameters with the same results.

Revit Number Param Capture.PNG

r.robert.bell
Advocate

I too need control over the format and precision, both in the project environment and, more importantly, the Family Editor. See this link for one reason why.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report