Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested family with <family type> parameter

Nested family with <family type> parameter

I would like to be able to create a family that has nested families in it, controlled with a <family type> parameter (no problem so far).  Then I need to be able to nest this family into a host family, and associate that parameter to a host parameter so it is available in the project.  This seems possible for every instance parameter type except <family type>.  

1 Comment
r.robert.bell
Advocate

To better explain this issue, here is an example:

1. I have a family that is a video display panel. This family will have multiple types for the typical display sizes. It will be a shared family because it is going to be used in host families (see below).
  2. The video display panel family will be nested into an intermediate family that will allow for tilting the display towards the floor. This intermediate family does not need to be shared, its only purpose is to provide a tilt of the nested video display panel. It will have a Family Type parameter to switch the display types of the shared nested family.
  3. The intermediate family is loaded into multiple host families, such as a wall mount family, a single-display pendant mount family, and a tandem-display pendant mount family. Each of the host families will have a Family Type parameter to switch the display types of the shared nested family.

Well, it would, if only it could.

2021-10-14_14-31-50.png

In the host families, my users need to be able to specify what display type to use, e.g. a 60" or a 75" display. Naturally, we would use a Family Type parameter to switch this, except we cannot associate the host's Family Type parameter to the Family Type parameter in the intermediate tilt family.

This is an issue because it is the shared nested video display panel family that actually holds the display types. If the user needs to add a new display type, they create that new type in the shared nested video display panel family. But the host mount families cannot "pass" the information on the selected display type to the intermediate tilt family, without creating a type for each display type in that intermediate tilt family. Users shouldn't need to edit the intermediate tilt family to add a new display type, they do that in the shared nested family.

This means it is too easy to break the families, because we cannot associate the Family Type parameter of the intermediate tilt family to the Family Type parameter of the host mount families.

I can understand, given that we are talking about family types, why Revit doesn't want to do this. The instance(s) of the intermediate tilt family in the host family only have one type, because that family is using an instance-based Family Type parameter to switch the display type (which works there in the intermediate family). The host mount families list both the shared nested family's types and the intermediate tilt family's single type. But I don't want the users to have to select a type in the tilt family, I want them to pick only the display types (which may vary in projects). (In fact, I'd love to "turn off" the listing of the intermediate family in the drop-down!)

2021-10-14_14-51-21.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report