Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor support for Revit

Dual Monitor support for Revit

Integrate dual monitor compactibility within revit. No offense, but dragging the bottom of the programm border across both monitors isn't ideal.

Revit LT 2016

72 Comments
svalenta
Participant
I would like this implemented by allowing drawing windows to be torn from the main application window and placed on a second monitor.
svalenta
Participant
I should probably note I want this because my home office setup includes a 4K monitor on the left and a 1080p monitor on the right. It's almost impossible to span a single session across both monitors because of the resolution difference between the monitors. To do so, I'm either forced to set the 4K monitor to 1080p resolution, or line the bottom of the window up with the bottom of the 1080p screen. Doing the second leave a bunch of unused real estate at the bottom of the 4K screen.
mp_thompson
Advocate

The way I envisage it so that you don't have every new view/sheet open in a new window floating around would be to either right click to open a view in it's own window or to have an on/off toggle for opening views in seperate windows.

Bramvdouwelant
Contributor
I i also suggested this topic on the forum yesterday. The way i likte to see it is explained below.  

Re: Dual Monitor support for Revit

19-05-2016 10:46 AM in reply to: Lance.Coffey

The way I see it, i would like to set the 3D view (maybe two 3D views on the first monitor), and floorplans on my second monitor. This for an overall look of my project to view the effects of changes I made to the project floor plans. But this can work with anyway you want to overview your project. Like elevations on monitor 1 and sections on monitor 2 or whatever you are using. 

Swapping the properties box to the second monitor while working on the first monitor is not working well, because you have to swap your mouse to the second screen constantly to adjust something. It's more the way to have a quick look like i mentioned above.

I already uploaded this as an Idea a few days ago @ http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/dual-monitor-support-for-revit/idi-p/6326115

I just wanted to address this over here as well. 

aharp
Explorer

I would really like to have 2 separate views ie Plan and 3D open and have the ability to have them on separate monitirs.

L.Maas
Mentor

The basic idea "Dual Monitor support for Revit" is already here.

Enscape
Explorer

I am not sure this is the spot to write this, but it might help to some extend until the second screen functionality is integrated into Revit.

I heard customers say that Enscape can be used on the second screen for the visualization, similar to what you described. It only gives you the visualization and not the settings but it might be a start. 

jkucia
Advocate

Missed this one - I sent up a post with a few interface improvements including multi-monitor, apologies for the dual post.  Feel free to vote mine up, too, perhaps multiple similar ideas will get more attention?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/interface-profile-manager-feature-finder-multi-monitor/idi...

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

tomek
Collaborator

I've already suggested this elsewhere but I might as well reiterate here. This is pretty easy to implement. All that needs to happen is Revit must ditch the silly MDI display model in favour of a multiple window one. Once this change is made then any window can be placed on any monitor without any problems.

novumarc
Participant

As spoker for german-user :

Bitte auch an die Triple-Monitor-User denken, bislang über 2 Instanzen versucht das Problem zu kompensieren, äusserst lästig, kann doch wirklich nicht die große Sache sein.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

mp_thompson
Advocate

Hooray!

novumarc
Participant

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind...REVIT now reached the hall of fame...Thanks a lot

jkucia
Advocate

Along with dual monitors, window/menu layout profiles would be especially handy:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/interface-window-profiles-and-manager/idi-p/6509320

nikoue
Collaborator

Trimble Business Center has the best floating view options i 've ever seen.

I like to see revit work like that.

Watch the attached video.

jkucia
Advocate

Trimble's menus are nice, but it's also exactly how ArchiCAD works on a Mac.  Autodesk is quite a bit behind on this one.

nikoue
Collaborator
But archicad still cannot display dynamically an operation in two views. If you draw eg a wall in a 2d view when you move the mouse you don't see anything in 3d view. You only see when you click the endpoint
trevor.taylor
Enthusiast

It would be much easier to work with two, or more, displays if editing windows could be dragged outside of Revit's parent window.

VS_Windows.png

glenbob305
Advocate

Add hotkeys for this when you implement it.  Something like what windows does would be fine.  windows key-right to the right, windows key left to the left, etc.    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report