Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor support for Revit

Dual Monitor support for Revit

Integrate dual monitor compactibility within revit. No offense, but dragging the bottom of the programm border across both monitors isn't ideal.

Revit LT 2016

72 Comments
Magnus.B
Advocate

I would love to be able to drag a 3d view unto my second screen. Thats one of the features Im missing most in Revit

dgorsman
Consultant

Just to be clear - are you asking about being able to drag the 3D view window outside of the application window, so that the application window doesn't have to be stretched across the second monitor?

Magnus.B
Advocate

Yes, streching does not work very well, especially when you don't have two identical monitors. The properties window can be moved outside the application. I would like the same for views (3d views, sections floorplans schedules etc.)

Kimtaurus
Advisor
dan.barnes
Explorer

It would be great if you could have a live 3D view in a separate pop out window so that it can be moved around independently of the Revit window. I find having the 3D view open in a window tile situation very awkward to use.
Currently Revit supports the ability to pop out the properties palette and project browser and this is extremely useful, especially when using Revit on dual monitors.

andrewspence6153
Community Visitor

Excellent idea, a 3d view that works like a pallete. This would certainly free up screen space, especially considering most people in the industry work with a second screen setup. No need to constantly press WT all the time to get back to a 3D View!

wayne.charles
Community Visitor

Great idea, would be very useful

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Why limit it to a 3D View?

ANY View shoul dbe able to be pulled off to a second screen.

BTW, I believe this kind of thing is what they are talking about  (multi-monitor support) in the Revit Road Map

HuenBIM
Participant
100% agree with this.
filipefrancisco
Collaborator

Excelent Ideia

a.hays
Explorer

Allow better multi screen support to maximise to each screen.

j0hnp
Enthusiast
AplusIAutoDesk
Explorer
dan.barnes
Explorer

Excellent idea and something that definitely needs to be implemented fast. I think that it would be good if views/windows could be controlled in the same way that you can control the project browser and properties pallets in the sense that they can either be snapped into the main Revit window or they can be popped out and moved around your monitors independently of the main Revit window.

Enscape
Explorer
try using Enscape. Does that work for you?
glenbob305
Advocate
Here here! If you could have separate windows like Photoshop, you could
use then to snap to full screen or tile them or whatever with the built in
windows 7 window tab commands (e.g. windows-up, windows-up, etc.). I'd
rather not have Revit reinvent the wheel for window management if
possible. Of course any UI improvement in this area would be welcome. All
we have now is W-T for tile all windows.

Being able to support different monitor sizes would be great. I'd suggest
even going further and redesigning the properties and system browser and
other elements so you can put all that on say a 20" 1080p monitor on the
bottom right of a 30-40 inch higher resolution display for showing the
model.
ghooper
Explorer

It would be fantastic if users are able to move viewports (windows) outside of Revit without having to stretch Revit across two-three screens with different resolutions. Also be able to drag details to those windows that are outside of Revit and so on. 

Thank you,

Govinda Hooper - Microdesk 

pieter7
Advisor

Please doublecheck for posting. This is a duplicate to the second highest voted idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/dual-monitor-support-for-revit/idi-p/6326115

Brook9009
Participant

The opening post and many of the subsequent comments are very positive.  
As an interesting precedent, Cinema 4D has had the most impressive interface controls I have ever used.

I think a smart way in which Revit could facilitate multi-screen support, would be to allow Revit to launch additional master windows with or without toolbars allocated.  These could then easily be full screen / half screen'd via Windows pane control systems.

Then within each of these master windows being able to dock in tools bars and views just as Revit currently supports these actions would first of all be a brilliant start.

To follow, if some further window tiling tools were available to force tile Revit panes by 2x3, 2x2 etc that would be even better.  It might be tricky to manage how Revit would tile say the first 4 or 6  of the open active windows, but if the switch window shortcut was allocated onto each views' title bar next to the min/max/close buttons, this would allow you then to switch in and out views as you require.

tomek
Collaborator
This is going to spark an "us vs them" war but what the hell 😉

For the record, if there is a record, I am strongly against any sort of
"master window" interface where other windows are restricted to the
confines of the master window. This is a very outdated UI that I don't
believe is any longer suitable for today's work practices.

I am a vehement proponent of an application being able to open as many
windows as the user requires to get their job done and I should be able to
place each one of those windows anywhere I please on my multiple screens.
Also, the application should provide docking and snapping feature so that
windows can be grouped (docked together) and snapped to screen edges. Once
I arrange my "workspace" I should be able to save this layout for future
sessions.

cheers,
-tomek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report