Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More control over view placement on sheets

More control over view placement on sheets

Guide Grids are not the most easy to use and useful tool in Revit. It would be much better if view titles and views could snap to reference planes, or some other "non plot" element within a sheet border. I hate to say it, but AutoCAD does this better. Are you going to let AutoCAD be better than you, Revit?!

66 Comments
BrandonRoe
Explorer

I have used reference planes and reverence lines in my viewes to have control over placing the view on a sheet.   when moving a view on a sheet you can grab end points and they will find the planes/lines in the other views.  helped with me organize views on sheets.

2016-05-12_0841.png

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

At a bare minimum, let me make a Guide Grid with different X and Y values.

I don't know of any firm whose Sheet modules are squares.

purvigirwin
Advocate
broeBJ3L4, that make sense and it's a good work-around to align views themselves, but you can't align the view titles with things on the titleblock. I know that there are firms who use a different view title that is associated with a grid on the sheet border, and you can't snap to that.

jkucia
Advocate

Why can't we use any/all linework (and snap points) in a given view as alignment points?  I don't understand why it's so restrictive.  I appreciate the grid, but we need to go one step further.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

ttourangeau_svn
Enthusiast

Not only is AutoCAD better, but ArchiCAD is better. The latter basically has an integrated/simplified version of InDesign and it's a dream to use. 

jkucia
Advocate

Parallel idea: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/selects-views-to-place-on-sheet/idc-p/6491141#M1947

TTOURANGEAU, totally agree that ArchiCAD has a superior layout capability, and management of non-BIM views is definitely along the lines of InDesign.  I miss some of those features a LOT.  However, AC doesn't have Grid Guide, which is perhaps more useful than either tracing sheets to align views or adding alignment points to the sheet template.  Nor does AC have split-drawing capabilities at the view level; while that's easy to solve in AC with multiple instances of the same view, Revit's is a better solution.  If only someone could shuffle ALL of these tools into one master program!

purvigirwin
Advocate

jkucia, don't get me wrong, Revit is a far superior product for what we do than AutoCAD. I agree that we need to get all the best tools from every software together in one! Hopefully Autodesk will take these suggestions to heart and include them in future releases.

jkucia
Advocate

PURVIGIRWIN, my discussion was about ArchiCAD, not AutoCAD.  ArchiCAD is Revit's big BIM competitor in, as I have been told, Europe and possibly some other countries.  Not as widely used in the US, it's run by Graphisoft under the Nemetschek group.  I think they're out of Hungary.

You might have noticed this idea was moved to "Under Review," so its now more likely that view placement control will get investigated/integrated into Revit in a future release.    

ttourangeau_svn
Enthusiast

purvigirwin - I'm losing hope. I signed up for their "I can make it better" surveys/emails but everything seems to be about helping them with their marketing slogans. Forget that.

jkucia - yeah, each one has its strengths. It's a dream of mine to go to Autodesk's offices and walk them through ArchiCAD's superior features to show them why it works so much better for architects. The way you navigate the building, the way you publish drawing sets, the way you lay out a sheet... everything. I feel like Autodesk suffers from having too many programmers and not enough practicioners - the ideastation is a good start but it still doesn't help show them why professionals are so annoyed with some program features, and it also doesn't truly reflect changes that need to happen - it just reflects the thoughts of the people that care enough to post/vote, which is a tiny fraction of the user base. 

But honestly if they would just allow for PDF placement on sheets (and allow for in-sheet image cropping) I'll forgive almost all of the other issues!

jkucia
Advocate

Let's all admit, however, that the only real prescription for this problem is more cowbell.

purvigirwin
Advocate

Obviously, but that goes without saying! 🙂

ttourangeau_svn
Enthusiast

Dude, that joke dates back to Revit 1.0

purvigirwin
Advocate

But it never gets old.

SamBerk
Advocate

It would also be nice develop a function that makes it possible to select more than one View to put on a Sheet.

Zsolt.Varga
Autodesk Support

Same issue reported by German customer. 

Please, enable users to create guide lines freely on the sheets and set different colors and line types for these guides.

Had the same idea. Please just do Guide Lines instead of Guide Grid.

tkendrick
Advocate

See KiwiCodes Bonus Tools, for Sheet Align, Views to Sheets, Sheet Em Up, Sheet Duplication. All these tools make you sheets look great and aligned. 

ttourangeau_svn
Enthusiast

if I bought every **** add-on and bonus tool that I needed to get just to make revit do what it's supposed to do, I'd be spending an extra 1000-2000 every year. that's a good indication of the poor state of the software's development. 

tkendrick
Advocate
I agree completely! I just use that as a reference for existing tools and
functionality that can be implemented into Revit as core features, and not
having the add-ins.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report