Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid Of Two Points Snap

Mid Of Two Points Snap

Add a new snap the same as AutoCAD's 'Mid of two points'.

31 Comments
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.  

The Factory

dzanta
Advisor

I would like Revit to have the Mid Between 2 Points Object Snap feature similar to AutoCAD.

Tags (1)
pieter5
Advisor

Ideally, the snap override menu would be accessible through shift+rightclick (similar to Autocad), where the mid between 2 points could be added to the list of overrides.

brumloop
Contributor
What about adding the ability to snap the middle of a dimension at least? The middle/axis of a room is hard to find when doors and windows are not located in its middle and the middle of its surrounding walls are mostly far away because revit unfortunately cannot detect mids of intersected wall segments.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We've completed our review of this idea. After investigating the effort required to implement this request, we unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities. However, we think this is a great idea so we will reconsider it as we made adjustments to our roadmap in the future. Thanks for the submission and keep voting!

The Factory

bart-_-
Explorer

Also add the ''from'' option when ''Mid Between 2 Points'' will be impemented in the future. 🙂

midpoint.png

narbeh82
Explorer

It will really help us to move or select between two points , for example getting the exact mid point of a component for placement ... , it will also reduce the time that we spend on drawing lines for getting the points.

This command is currently being used in Auto Cad and the shortcut is (M2P) .

Thanks in advance.

pieter5
Advisor

There is already an idea for this: Mid between two points 

Please vote on this idea rather than splitting up the votes.

SashKaz
Advocate

Here was the idea that I submitted awhile back: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/more-snap-options/idi-p/6706702

Sash

narbeh82
Explorer
I up voted yours .
pieter5
Advisor

@sasha.crotty  As mentioned in the road map discussion: this is a feature we would like to use a hundred times a day, every day.

To us (unaware of the coding challenges behind the scenes) this seems like a pretty easy request. Are there certain technical challenges that make this a complicated request? 

Could the dev team perhaps give us a little bit more insight? If we'd understand why this is so difficult than waiting for it might become a bit easier 🙂

Pieter

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@pieter, the difficulty here is not creating something that snaps to two points and then identifies where the middle is. That's easy enough. The challenge is teaching every tool in Revit to start using this capability when snapping. To implement this functionality, you're actually replacing one click with two clicks and those two clicks have very different behavior from the original clicks. So we essentially have to teach a lot of editors (and yes, we do reuse stuff, so it's not every single tool) to break out of what they're doing, do something else, and then go back to the original code as if there was only one click. It's hot a huge amount of work for each one, but it's a fairly large project when you include all of Revit's tools and the associated testing effort. Hope that helps.

pieter5
Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and give us more insight. That does help actually. It sounds like it's the similar issue as with enabling editing in perspective mode (I remember that the tools also had to "learn to understand" a new way of editing).

Hugh_Compton
Advisor

@sasha.crotty

This snap would be used every day in our modelling.  The benefits to your end users would be a very large time saving.  

stan.dekerpel
Explorer

Most missed command from Autocad...

dzanta
Advisor
It's still there
stan.dekerpel
Explorer

I meant it's the #1 Autocad feature I wish Revit would adopt.

Jose_Mora
Advocate
This was awesome in AutoCAD
Hugh_Compton
Advisor

I miss it greatly. Having to draw construction lines is an enormous pain. 

jenniferangot
Explorer

I miss them too!!  "From" and  "Mid between..."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report