Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge Line Styles, Fill Patterns, Filled Regions, Text Styles, Dim Styles, etc.

Merge Line Styles, Fill Patterns, Filled Regions, Text Styles, Dim Styles, etc.

It sure would be nice to have a quick way to merge duplicate styles to clean up a project.

I put a lot of effort making sure my template is clean and pure, but when it comes to a real project, things get messy fast.

For example, I may end up with linestyles called "Heavy", "HEVY", "HEV", "HVY" and "Lineweight 4" as a result of copy and paste from other projects, downloading from the web, and giving the intern redlines.  I know they should all be the same, but there is no easy way to merge.  I cannot select all instances in project for lines (bummer) and if i have 100 details, it will take forever to select and change type for each view.  I can delete the bad line styles, but then they all end up Lineweight 1, which does not print they way i want.

Same issue with Fill Patterns, Filled Regions, Text Styles, Dim Styles, etc.

22 Comments
Yien_Chao
Advisor

bdmarmor,

for filled region, text and dimension, you can select all the style in the project and replace it. you have to do it manually, but it works.

for fill pattern and linestyle you can use Dynamo to do the job.

but it will be better to have all these options inside Revit so i vote for it.

Y

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

Yea - good idea, some sort of tool which allows the user to compare differences between styles and highlight styles which are the same...

balu.murthy
Explorer

We need a program or Tool to merge Line Style and Fill Pattern. 
so that it will Help users and coordinators to Clean up the Project easily

Regards

Balu

Tags (2)
mertens3d
Enthusiast
Can you elaborate on what you mean by merge?
What start and end product are you after?
balu.murthy
Explorer

We need a Addon or tool to merge Line style,Line Pattern and Hatch Pattern 
Example : In Multi D Co-ordination project where more user are invlovled in modelling. There is more changes users creating their own line style,Line Pattern.

This reduces overall Quality model . We need a tool a merge non standard line style into Standard Line Type.

Regards

Balu

mertens3d
Enthusiast
So user A creates a hatch pattern PatA and applies it to some brick.

Then user B creates their own hatch pattern patB and applies to different brick.

You would like a tool that searches the entire drawing for anything that uses patA and replaces it with patB?
balu.murthy
Explorer

Yes are absolutely right

JGuptill
Enthusiast

That's an excellent idea. I'm currently in the same boat having to merge two different company's styles. It is taking forever. What is Dynamo?

young
Contributor

Can I vote 100 times for this one!!!

TerahBrown4705
Community Visitor

A million times yes!!!!!  A tool to merge linetypes and fill pattern types would be AMAZING.

At least with text and dimensions you can "select all in project" and then change them to the type you want, but with lines you're really out in the cold.  Even the capability to "select all in project" of a particular line type would be acceptable to me.

JGuptill
Enthusiast

Actually,

There is an add-on called Ideate Explorer. It allows the user to literally search almost anything, even linetypes. Then you can select all of a particular type of line throughout the project and change them all at one time. Then just purge the old copies/types.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@JGuptill $395 per year seems a little steep just to be able to "select all" Detail Lines and change Type...

JGuptill
Enthusiast
That's lifetime. Not per year
lionel.kai
Advisor

Only if you buy by the end of the year (which appears to only include 2016-2018 versions and one year of updates - we're still also using 2015 & 2013) - they're switching to subscription-only after that.

JGuptill
Enthusiast

Well, seems I am a bit behind the times. We will see what happens to my "perpetual" license.

jeroen.kortekaas
Explorer

Dear Autodesk, what is happening with this? Revit badly needs a different way of managing Line Styles. The ability to delete / replace line Styles would be helpful to manage templates and projects throughout its design.

Intuos5
Advisor

This would be solved by allowing for non-component elements, such as lines, fill regions and annotations to be part of a layer system. Select all lines per layer option (qselect in Autocad, move to the destination layer and (purge the empty one if a checkbox is checked). Fill region outlines could also be controlled by the layer style.

JGuptill
Enthusiast

Myself, I am flabbergasted that lines aren't included in the "select all in view/in project". Why not? 

jweber-
Contributor

OMG yes PLEASE! Oh and for those suggesting Ideate- you do realize this shouldn't be a feature that costs thousands of dollars PER YEAR to use right?? Just as OP has described! 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report